PDA

View Full Version : Thunk noise on cold start

dza
09-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Today, I changed my oil. When I was done, i went to crank the car. She started alright but when I revved it up to about 2000 just to wake her up (now I know that its obviously a dumb thing to do). I heard this freak-nasty thunk noise. I immediately turned off the car. As I was throwing new oil in, I noticed that it had many little air bubbles in it. When I checked my oil after the "thunk", It still had the air bubbles. Perhaps something thats not good? I was going to spend the time to kill the fuel and crank it to let just oil cycle through but I had help and he said to start it and see. It's now fine but i'm still concerned about the thunk noise. Anyone know what that might be?

By the way, this is a very young car. She only has 23k miles on it so I dont see how there is any problem.

Two cold starts in a row, the same thunk noise. It almost sounds like something is catching. Like if a pump or something starts hard. Any thoughts?

p.s. I previously posted about my car and cold starts. It has trouble getting air it seems. It tries to die quickly. Figured i'd throw that in just in case it helps figuring this out.

dza
09-22-2003, 11:42 AM
maybe a sticking piston? and the thunk is the piston dislodging itself?