PDA

View Full Version : Chrome paint on grille?

DarkLateNight
09-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know anything about chrome automotive paint? Just curious because I need to repaint my grille after i cut the slats out -- thanks - i know i paint - wait - paint - wait - then do that again then use clear coat -- I want chrome on my silver G --

cdaw2001ES
09-24-2003, 10:49 PM
Well - I'd use an acrylic enamel with a bonding agent. heavy metallic flake. You will need to sand it out to at least 1500 grit then compund and glaze it - to get the smoothness and shine of stock. No need to clear coat. Clear coat actually woulnt match the stock - as it's molded film used in the plastic process ~ not paint and has no gloss layer.

Actually there is a new product that may worik extremtly well - If you can find it in chrome - those new Anodized looking Duponts that come in a rattle can. - I'd still use a bonding aget like Bulldog - cause otherwise bare plastic needs to be heated and chemically rinsed to get rid of the mold release agent the seeps in to it ~ You could do it without - but the paint will flake off relativley quickly. You only need to wory about this when painting BARE plastic, like the edges of the cut area. If it allready has a coating you just need to scuff it up (or use bulldog ~ it's great stuff for plastic)