PDA

View Full Version : I'm running rich!!!

ESdriver00
09-10-2002, 01:37 PM
I only wish it was on cash. But anyway I smell gas coming from my muffler, could it be that I turned up my idle too much its around 12-15k right now, I also have the header (I4).

Now according to a mechanic if one of your o2 sensors is fucked up you could be getting more gas than needed, since the computer is not getting the correct reading. True? But more important what can be done to correct this?

pinoyesv6
09-10-2002, 02:09 PM
first of all i'd fix that idle. uhm i know my car idles @ less than 1k. 12k is way too much. i'd bring it back down to where u had it b4...

secondly, an AFC would be a very nice way to fix that air fuel ratio but most of us don't have the money. but going back to what ur mechanic said, first of all, i'd make sure that the 02 sensors are installed correctly. maybe even reset the ecu to see if that helps. uhm if you suspect that ur 02 sensors are damaged or to even see if they are here is a good link to test em http://www.forparts.com/o-21.htm ('http://www.forparts.com/o-21.htm')

manybrews
09-10-2002, 05:28 PM
the idle is totally automatic.
if its not idling at 750 +-, its ROYALLY screwed up.

a little tip.. there is NOTHING that needs adjustment on the throttle, ever..
if you messed with it, youve probably screwed it up.
if its idling wrong without being adjusted, something has failed.

and just increasing the idle will NOT make it run rich, as the fuel system will easily compensate for that.

so something else is screwed up.

ESdriver00
09-10-2002, 06:54 PM
I'm sorry not 12k, 1200, 12 hundred.

And yeah I did the throttle body adjustment.

TJC
09-10-2002, 07:02 PM
You pulled the cable too tight. Put some slack back in it. As for running rich, it's more than likely the headers if that's the only part that's been added since the problem. You're not triggering the SES light huh? You can also pull your plug to examine it for signs of your car running rich. The only thing that will compensate for that header is an AFC.

ozkrow
09-14-2002, 05:08 PM
this is why i dont screw around with my car!!!

pinoyesv6
09-15-2002, 05:43 PM
did u reset the ecu when u installed the headers. this is why i asked.

i built an intake this weekend in front of one of my customers. and when i finished it i resetted the ecu and then started the car and started reving really hard to show him the increased sound. and because of the MAS detected more air since i weas revving and yea bam it was running rich. really rich to tell u the truth. u said u have headers so u might have resetted it and then jumped into the car and revved it to hear your car, and bam ur running rich...just a thought