PDA

View Full Version : car shaking

sleepagalant
09-25-2003, 10:42 AM
car shakes when i hit 60
just had an alignment (might have been a shitty job)
bought new tires before i had the alignment done
what else is there that it might be?

4-G-rim
09-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Go back to the place that did your alignment and have them redo it again. Make sure they Rotated and balanced your tires. Easy way to tell is the wheel weights...see if they look brand new. If you still got shaking....I would check your CV axles and I would also check the motor mounts and tranny mount. If the mounts are bad...it could be the motor wobbling in there while at higher RPM's. Other than that..I wouldn't know. :?

Houndawg
09-25-2003, 02:41 PM
Sounds like the tires are out of balance to me. A bad alignment shouldnt cause shaking, but will make the car squirrely or give it otherwise goofy handling. Unless they left something loose, which will also cause shaking but it will show up at lower speeds. Out of balance tires will usually show up around 60 MPH and will sometimes level themselves out at around 80, depending on the severity of the balance problems. A lot of tire shops are in such a hurry that they don't double check the balance after they hammer the weights on. This is bad because there are times that the second spin will tell you the tire needs more weight somewhere. Also check and see if there are large weights on the rim. If there are, take it back and tell them to turn the tire on the rim. Tires usually have a heavy spot that is normally placed opposite the valve stem. If they didn't mount the tire correctly it will require heavy weights on one side. The less weight they have to add, the better off it's going to be.