PDA

View Full Version : Squealing Belt

de1nonly
09-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Ive got a 2001 ES I4 and I believe the belt that drives the alternator or the other on the left side of the engine compartment is making a squealing noise. Any ideas on what that is? I have seen some belt spray and my local auto parts store that says it will quiet belts down, anyone know if that would work or is my problem bigger than that? peace

Nick VR4
09-27-2003, 07:40 AM
You could try the spray as some belts squeal if there dry
Otherwise its too loose and needs tightening

10-03-2003, 10:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(de1nonly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ive got a 2001 ES I4 and I believe the belt that drives the alternator or the other on the left side of the engine compartment is making a squealing noise. Â*Any ideas on what that is? Â*I have seen some belt spray and my local auto parts store that says it will quiet belts down, anyone know if that would work or is my problem bigger than that? Â*peace</div>
It could be too loose, however I wouldn't use the belt-squeal spray. It's kind of like Aspirin for your belts...it stops the annoyance temporarily, but the problem is still there. By using that spray you could be covering up a potential problem that could lead to belt failure and leave you on the side of the road somewhere. If i were you, I'd spend the seven or eight dollars on a new belt and make sure the belt deflection is good. I think defletion should be around .25" for every 12 inches the belt runs. Don't do it too loose, and DON"T make it too tight.