PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold

NightHawkTL
09-26-2003, 05:33 PM
hey guys.. now I was aimlessly roaming the Eclipse boards and came up on these pics of a V6 SDS that 2 3gs have, now I noticed a diffeence in the intake manifolds.

http://www.pittracing.com/IMG_1098.jpg

http://www.eclipseforum.com/forums/uploads/post-20-1061776450.jpg

now i noticed the white 3G has a different intake manifold, was that a slight change in the engine from (in our case) 02-03 then from 99-01? and if not where would I be able to get a different intake manifold like that.. thanks

Auto-9
09-26-2003, 05:50 PM
That manifold you see is from the 2003 GTS with the variable intake runners.

NightHawkTL
09-26-2003, 06:06 PM
that come witg the 03 GTZ's? oooorr would I be able to get it if I wanted to..

Auto-9
09-26-2003, 06:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>that come witg the 03 GTZ's? oooorr would I be able to get it if I wanted to..</div>

Well I suppose you could, but it wouldn't do you much good. The ECU doesn't know how to use it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Jet Black
09-27-2003, 02:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>that come witg the 03 GTZ's? oooorr would I be able to get it if I wanted to..</div>

Well I suppose you could, but it wouldn't do you much good. The ECU doesn't know how to use it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

Well what if we swapped ECUs? Everything else is the same right? Also what is the variable intake runners?

Auto-9
09-27-2003, 04:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well what if we swapped ECUs? Â*Everything else is the same right? Â*Also what is the variable intake runners?</div>

I cannot say for certain whether or not swapping ECUs would work, mainly because no one has tried it that I know of. Sporties have the sportronic aspect of their transmission that our cars do not have. The variable intake runners is basically the same as any other manufacturer's variable intake design (Acura's type S, Nissan Altima 3.5 come to mind). During low RPMs the intake length is increased to assist with low end torque, and at high RPMs the intake length is shortened to help ingest more air to produce power. Combined with an exhaust that does the same thing and variable valve technology like MIVEC and you are able to create a power band that optimized low, mid, and high end power. If you've ever seen a BMW dyno you'll see what I mean...it's flatter than the Canadian shield.

FRCFD6
09-27-2003, 05:18 PM
actually it would be quite easy to swap. make sure all the fuel and sensors are the same, and for the variable intake, use an rpm activated switch.

tim888tim
09-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Is this what gives the GTS 210 hp over the GTZs 190?

NightHawkTL
09-27-2003, 10:28 PM
thats a good question too, and is it also a direct bolt on other then having to change ECU's

Auto-9
09-27-2003, 11:44 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim888tim)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is this what gives the GTS 210 hp over the GTZs 190?</div>

Yes, it's what makes it the highest rated Eclipse at 10 more horses than the GT.

Jet Black
09-28-2003, 02:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well what if we swapped ECUs? Â*Everything else is the same right? Â*Also what is the variable intake runners?</div>

I cannot say for certain whether or not swapping ECUs would work, mainly because no one has tried it that I know of. Sporties have the sportronic aspect of their transmission that our cars do not have. The variable intake runners is basically the same as any other manufacturer's variable intake design (Acura's type S, Nissan Altima 3.5 come to mind). During low RPMs the intake length is increased to assist with low end torque, and at high RPMs the intake length is shortened to help ingest more air to produce power. Combined with an exhaust that does the same thing and variable valve technology like MIVEC and you are able to create a power band that optimized low, mid, and high end power. If you've ever seen a BMW dyno you'll see what I mean...it's flatter than the Canadian shield.</div>

Ahhh, now Im getting it. How is the variable intake runner incorparated? I mean is it part of the cams, or is it just an opening and closing of the intake? Looking at the pictures, Im putting my money on the later.

Auto-9
09-28-2003, 10:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ahhh, now Im getting it. Â*How is the variable intake runner incorparated? Â*I mean is it part of the cams, or is it just an opening and closing of the intake? Â*Looking at the pictures, Im putting my money on the later.</div>

It's just the intake. Using the cams would mean variable valve a la VTEC MIVEC VVTi VarioCam etc.

10-03-2003, 10:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ahhh, now Im getting it. Â*How is the variable intake runner incorparated? Â*I mean is it part of the cams, or is it just an opening and closing of the intake? Â*Looking at the pictures, Im putting my money on the later.</div>

It's just the intake. Using the cams would mean variable valve a la VTEC MIVEC VVTi VarioCam etc.</div>
VTEC and i-VTEC will produce more power than any variable intake runners. Think of it this way...What would produce more power, an Intake manifold or a set of cams? The cams would. VTEC controls how much air flows into the engine to a much greater degree than a variable intake runner. Basically as you get closer to the motor, smaller and smaller changes in airflow make bigger and bigger differences. For example, Port and Polishing your head will be worth much mroe power than moving from a paper filter to a K&N, or increasing intake piping size. The intake manifold is about the middle of the intake airflow path, so it affects power more than an intake, and less than a port job.

Large plenum, short runners=high top-end power, lack of low end torque
Small plenum, long runners=accessable low-end power.