PDA

View Full Version : Bad Wheel Bearing?

Auto-9
09-27-2003, 04:10 PM
I jacked up my driver's side to test for a bad wheel bearing as instructed and took time to inspect my CV boot while I was down there. My boot is just fine, so I moved onto shaking the wheel. Grasping the sides of the tire and trying to shake yielded no movement, but when I grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel as instructed and shook it I had slight movement. It's probably no more than about 1 to 2 mm of give; it feels like trying to turn a doorknob on a locked door. Is this normal, or is this the symptom of a bad wheel bearing? Unfortunately I didn't test the passenger side while I was at it.

Coldshot
09-28-2003, 08:51 AM
yep, thts the bearing moving. there pretty easy to change on our cars. its not a composite bearing that you need a press to take out. once you take off the axle nut, its 3 or 4 bolts on the hub assembly. it comes off, wheel studs and all. only shitty thing is that its $200 for that piece

Auto-9
09-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Ah ok...man pretty tight tolerances on wheel bearings then ain't it. The wheel isn't supposed to give at all! :shock:

FinalLast
09-28-2003, 01:15 PM
what are the signs that u got a bad wheel bearing?

Auto-9
09-28-2003, 03:03 PM
I was told noises when you are turning verified by a wheel that jiggles while you shake it when the car is jacked up usually equates to a bad wheel bearing.

Nick VR4
09-29-2003, 09:37 AM
Normally signs are a clunking noise when full lock is used
And movement of wheels when jacked up
BUT it may just be loose and need tightneing not replacing

ChikagoGTZ
11-21-2003, 01:53 PM
I jacked my wheel bearing when I hit a curb, it's gonna cost me like 185 from mitsu for the hub....what a damn waste of money....Its pretty damn easy to do, just remove the old one and put it in....

Auto-9
11-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Normally signs are a clunking noise when full lock is used
And movement of wheels when jacked up
BUT it may just be loose and need tightneing not replacing

You're absolutely right. I finally had it resolved recently when I put on new tires. They retorqued my wheel lugs and voila, instant fix.