PDA

View Full Version : A/C Clutch?

nme7
09-29-2003, 02:21 PM
I think the clutch to the A/C Compressor is shot on my car. First, no cold air is coming out. Next there is this grinding metallic sound coming from my engine.

Anyone know how much this part costs to replace? I'm hoping it's not the actual compressor itself because that part alone is super expensive.

Btw, I may soon sell my 1994 Galant GS 5 speed in the next 3 or 4 months. Anyone interested?

seth98esT
09-29-2003, 02:27 PM
hmm not sure, but how much are you going to ask for it?

nme7
09-30-2003, 03:41 AM
I dunno maybe $3k for the car. I'll post on here so TGC folks can have first shot at the car since they will be the ones that would appreciate it.

Dark7GHawk
10-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Hey, my GS 5spd does that too?

What color and how many miles is yours?

Athreya
10-23-2003, 09:57 PM
It's doing that because the A/C compressor is shot. Have the same problem on my car and a few other people on here...replacing the compressor basically entails replacing the entire A/C system: evaporator, fluids, freon, clutch/pulley, etc at a cost of ~$800.

The only solution to the grinding noise is to turn the A/C button off (duh https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif ) or if you must have that on, have someone/dealer pull the belt off of the compressor to stop that horrible screeching. I plan to eventually fix mine around sale time but having to spend that kind of money pisses me off.

Athreya
10-23-2003, 10:00 PM
BTW, the clutch/pulley assembly by themselves are not too expensive I think (you'll probably pay more for labor) but from the grinding sound and my experience plus others I'm almost willing to bet it's the compressor that's shot :cry:
I know I really wished it was the clutch/pulley only that went bad on my Galant (95 S, ~136K miles) :evil: