PDA

View Full Version : interesting info

TWISTED II
09-30-2003, 05:15 AM
well, yesterday i tore apart my heads. took off the rocker arms and all that jazz, took out the cams. well, i noticed that all my lash aadjusters were bad (supposed to be stiff, and they were squishy, for lack of a better term). they are the lil shocky things on top of each of your valve springs that are on the ends of your rocker arms. well, interesting fact time: they are filled with diesle fuel. yeah, i had to go to the gas station, get diesel fuel, and shove a lil alan key into it, while submerged in diesel fuel to refil them. just thought that was kinda interesting, that there is a small amount of diesel fuel in our engines.

Fishboy55
09-30-2003, 05:26 AM
Damn Twisted, is anybody gonna know more about the 6g72 than you when you finish your project? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif So when you refilled them with diesel fuel, did it make them stiff again or did you have to replace them and refill the new ones?

Auto-9
09-30-2003, 08:55 AM
I was wondering why the 6G72 overhaul manual calls for using diesel fuel on them...I guess now I have the answer.

TWISTED II
09-30-2003, 12:55 PM
chip: yeah you basically use the little alan key to open, like a check valve. while its submerged and your doing it, you can see little air bubbles coming out. and once you do it about 10 times, its stiff again. then ya can't turn them upside down or drop them or anything. so you can only imagine how much fun it is lining up a rocker arm.

clone2020
10-01-2003, 02:45 PM
I cleaned the lash adjusters with diesel fuel about a year ago on my 1998 Montero Sport.

I actually had to replace one of them because nothing would move when I pressed on the ball bearing.

-Mike.

TWISTED II
10-01-2003, 06:41 PM
oh, you mean when you had to push inside the lash adjuster to clean it out? yeah, we were worried i would run into something like that, but thankfully, they all worked great