PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

mimitsu
09-30-2003, 01:55 PM
Alright gurus, question. I was driving my '93 (automatic trans), it suddenly slipped out of gear (no noise, no kerthunk, no nothing) and would not move. It was still running fine, it just wouldn't shift into gear. I popped the hood to check the transmission, and lo and behold, there's no dipstick to check the fluid. Moreover, in the owner manual, there is a diagram of what's under the hood. In the spot where the stick should be-next to the battery- there's an empty hole. Anyone else have the mysterious missing stick? I went back through all of my sheets from every oil change (I get the full fluid check, window wash, etc) to see if the transmission fluid had been checked or topped off or anything, and every one said N/A next to the transaxle. What the heck? Any info would be appreciated.

BlueESV6
09-30-2003, 08:22 PM
I have a '92 and it has a dipstick on the left side as your facing the engine. Surely you have to have a way to check it??? I do know that when I changed my tranny fluid I was shocked that only about 2 quarts came out!! :shock:

BlueESV6
11-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Reading your post must have jinxed me!! My car suddenly would not go (while in drive). Shifted it back to park, then drive and it went. Now it started making a whining noise and seems to be getting worse. The whine gets higher with higher revs and it's shifting really slowly and slipping. Sadly, this may be it for the car... :cry:

I checked the fluid level and it was fine... 136,000 miles and the tranny seems to be giving up the ghost...

so sad... had the car since new...