PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation only between 50-60MPH

Cheenoh
09-11-2002, 09:53 AM
My '96 (stock) hesitates between 50-60MPH (give or take) but drives fine any other speed. This has been going on ever since I got her at '24K mi but I decided to just live with it. Now I've reached the 100K mi mark, maintenance is current (all service intervals were done religiously) and still running strong (knock on wood) but I finally got around to addressing the problem of taking care of it. Any advice as to what might cause this?

rfpa1
10-09-2002, 07:53 AM
I just had a similar problem. I took it to my mechanic and he found that 2 of the new tires are not completely round. I am going this friday to pick my ride back, so he will show me what he ment by that.

It vibrates, when acelerating, then stops once you stop acelerating, then it feels that your axle is bad, but is not.

I will update by saturday.

cantbeatmy97
10-12-2002, 09:58 AM
try rotating your tires front to cris cross and rear to str8 front or rebalancing the tires worked for me.also if u have a plug in yur tire its possible that the belt will move over thorw that one in the right rear side of the car

rfpa1
10-12-2002, 06:08 PM
Hi:

I already rotated them in all posible combinations, we marked the tires with colored dots.

Did not work, also no plugs. The have never been flat.

Well, in any case, I got them replaced today with michelin tires and the problem went away. ( a little is left) Iam planning to go back to a dealer to see what they have tosay. Looks like the driver side is the one now having the problem ( left over problem).

Unless now the rims have been afected, but they looked round on the machine.

Lets see.

Thanks

rfpa1
10-14-2002, 10:58 AM
Is your problem something like, you are driving around 50 to 60 miles and then sudenly the car starts to wable. Like a flat tire. Or is it like the tires are pulling and it feels like the car makes like a jump or is like jumping and moving forward at the same time. Sorry I can not explain better than this.

Then you slow down and its ok.

rfpa1
10-15-2002, 05:03 PM
I Finally found the problem??? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

1) Althought all tires seem to have gained weight (they stopped been round (haha)) we found 2 that were egg shaped (who knows why).
I replaced all 4 with the new mitchellin tires and most of the problem went away. Still some hesitation.

2) This past monday, while doing 75, the car just started to shake and whooble like a flat tire situation. I stoped checked all tires everything was ok. Started to drive and the shake started around 50 miles. Drove back home called the mechanic and lifted the car with a dynamo on the front, and while applying gas we saw the driver side axle loosing the shape.

3) I already ordered the Axle and as well replace that hub for just in case.

So if you have hesitation check your axles first, there is a Universal joint that will start having problems and looks like unbalanced tires.

Cheenoh
10-19-2002, 11:17 PM
hey guys, thanks for all the replies! However Im positive this has nothing to do w/ wheels/tires.. it's drivetrain hesitation as if the car is sputtering and surgins albeit very little- but still an annoyance. It occurs while the car is cruising steadily within 55-65mph, it goes away upon accelarating or coasting (slowing down)..