PDA

View Full Version : Should i go cat back or get all new pipes with headers

neenjagtz
08-25-2002, 12:33 PM
Im looking into getting the hot side of my engine flowin better. But I was wonderin if there any problems with emissions testing with the RPW headers?
What kind of high flow cat do you guys recommend?

Thanx.

Black2k1GTZ
08-25-2002, 01:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neenjagtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im looking into getting the hot side of my engine flowin better. But I was wonderin if there any problems with emissions testing with the RPW headers? Â*

Thanx.</div>

You shouldn't really worry about emissions...usually a car wont be tested until its 5 years old. As for the hi-flow cat...I would go witht he RPW one. Check out www.visionimports.com ('http://www.visionimports.com').

Marc :mg:

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 01:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neenjagtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im looking into getting the hot side of my engine flowin better. But I was wonderin if there any problems with emissions testing with the RPW headers? Â*

Thanx.</div>

i'd check your local and state laws regarding emissions and aftermakret products. you might need a CARB sticker or something to exempt the product.

as for the original question if you are just going for looks and sound go for the cat back. if you want power go for the headers. and start your way back slowly with the rest of the exhuast

Auto-9
08-26-2002, 02:33 PM
About emissions...most testing standards probably won't be as strict as California, so I wouldn't be too worried. Just for comparison, some counties in Texas (mine isn't included until next year thank God) like Harris (Houston) have a stricter standard now, though I don't think it's quite as bad as California. I have AMSS's downpipe and a custom cat-back exhaust on my car and I passed my current test but just (barely) failed the new test for Harris county. I'm hoping with the headers I'll pass and it's just a fluke with the downpipe...otherwise I'll have to see about getting tested elsewhere. But other than that...I don't think any other state comes close to being as strict as California and Texas. Personally I went with the headers, hope they ship soon.

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 02:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>About emissions...most testing standards probably won't be as strict as California, so I wouldn't be too worried. Just for comparison, some counties in Texas (mine isn't included until next year thank God) like Harris (Houston) have a stricter standard now, though I don't think it's quite as bad as California. I have AMSS's downpipe and a custom cat-back exhaust on my car and I passed my current test but just (barely) failed the new test for Harris county. I'm hoping with the headers I'll pass and it's just a fluke with the downpipe...otherwise I'll have to see about getting tested elsewhere. But other than that...I don't think any other state comes close to being as strict as California and Texas. Personally I went with the headers, hope they ship soon.</div>

actually many states in the northeast have adopted california's emissions standards and so have many other states around the country.

Auto-9
08-26-2002, 04:18 PM
In that case I wish them the best of luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I dunno how it'll turn out for them heh

CNascimento
08-26-2002, 04:49 PM
What is a carb legal sticker? Well I realize that it is a sticker that okays the product for legal reasons but what I'm wondering is how do you get them would it be the same place you get a normal inspection sticker or does it come with products? HOW DOES IT WORK?

pinoyesv6
08-26-2002, 04:51 PM
What is a carb legal sticker? Well I realize that it is a sticker that okays the product for legal reasons but what I'm wondering is how do you get them would it be the same place you get a normal inspection sticker or does it come with products? HOW DOES IT WORK?

a company makes a product. if its one of the bigger companies or something they will send their product to the people that does the CARB stuff. the people then test it and see how it messes with the emissions and stuff like that. if the product passes it becomes exempt under CARB standards. that company can now sell this product being CARB exempt and most times they will send u a certificate or a sticker saying that it is exempt.

Auto-9
08-26-2002, 05:27 PM
That's why if you look on the AEM induction systems it says CARB exempt...that way the cops can't do anything to you.