PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT overfill your crankcase capacity

Auto-9
10-03-2003, 11:27 AM
I finally did my own oil change today using 4 and a half quarts. Fired up my car and...NO MORE LIFTER TICK!! The idiots at my dealership consistantly filled my car with 6 quarts of oil, small wonder my engine wasn't lubricating properly. I'm just concerned there might be damage I don't know about. I had to live with my car sounding like a diesel engine for 2 years...jeez.

pinoyesv6
10-03-2003, 11:28 AM
what kinda oil did you use? that might have somethign to do with it?

this is what i've noticed.
regular oil -tick tick
synthetic blend -tick tick
synthietic -no tick tick

i've been using 5 quarts all the time. same sized container.

Gilhuly
10-03-2003, 03:41 PM
Oh my god. Are you sure? What does your throttle body look like? The car takes 4.3 or so as I recall w/ a filter change. I did less than 5 qts and threw my only SES light ever.

10-03-2003, 04:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'>I finally did my own oil change today using 4 and a half quarts. Fired up my car and...NO MORE LIFTER TICK!! The idiots at my dealership consistantly filled my car with 6 quarts of oil, small wonder my engine wasn't lubricating properly. I'm just concerned there might be damage I don't know about. I had to live with my car sounding like a diesel engine for 2 years...jeez.</div>
that'll do it to ya. Also the reason why i do my own oil changes. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif I know exactly what I'm putting in there, and if i mess up, I have no one to blame but myself.

Faction
10-03-2003, 04:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'>I finally did my own oil change today using 4 and a half quarts. Fired up my car and...NO MORE LIFTER TICK!! The idiots at my dealership consistantly filled my car with 6 quarts of oil, small wonder my engine wasn't lubricating properly. I'm just concerned there might be damage I don't know about. I had to live with my car sounding like a diesel engine for 2 years...jeez.</div>
that'll do it to ya. Also the reason why i do my own oil changes. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif I know exactly what I'm putting in there, and if i mess up, I have no one to blame but myself.</div>

i agree https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif ......the first week i had my galant, it was like a damn peter built until i started to use mobile 1 synthetic

ChikagoGTZ
10-10-2003, 11:43 AM
yeah, you can get 6 qts of Mobile 1 at Costco for $22.99, add a Mobile 1 filter for $7.99, DIY, and you're set. I wouldn't put more than 5 in ever...but there is a little room for extra above the 4.3 or so.

Gilhuly
10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Agreed. I have found this to be true at times Hmmm?

CT_GalantV6
10-11-2003, 08:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'>I finally did my own oil change today using 4 and a half quarts. Fired up my car and...NO MORE LIFTER TICK!! The idiots at my dealership consistantly filled my car with 6 quarts of oil, small wonder my engine wasn't lubricating properly. I'm just concerned there might be damage I don't know about. I had to live with my car sounding like a diesel engine for 2 years...jeez.</div>

WTF, 6quarts. During this time period, did you ever check the oil dipstick after running the engine. If so, was the oil all foamed up or did it look normal. If your oil level is too high then the crank can whip it up into a nice foam and not flow thru the engine lubricating everything properly. This would cause things to be noisy.

After driving this way for 2years, I would think that some life has been taken from the engine and will cause you problems later on down the road. I'm glad to see you have stopped going to that place, please never, ever go back there.

I agree with Scootin, do it yourself. Your better off knowing its done right.

Scootin: I apologize for my behavior in your thread the other day. We all get a 'mood' sometimes.

~TaranTula~
10-12-2003, 08:50 AM
3 and a half quarts Mobil 1 super syn...............why so little????? 1.8 4G93GDI motor..........and those lifters are indeed a nightmare!!!!!! Comes and goes though, but you can feel the car lose power when the ticking is active :roll: