PDA

View Full Version : sway bar links

95galant-s
10-04-2003, 07:42 PM
how in the hell do you get them off? i changed my struts but cannot tighten the links back up. the nut part inside is completely round on both sides of the car and even vice grips dont seem to do the trick. Anyone have some suggestions? my next idea included a torch and some new ones :twisted:

rfpa1
10-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Been there done that.
Get a saw and cut them.

I did mine 3 months ago. Replaced everything in the front and rear, I got a saw from ebay and it did the job. By the way get blades rated for emergency services use, they will cut faster and last longer.

95galant-s
10-04-2003, 10:04 PM
thats what i figured. anyone know where to get new ones? i checked napa and a few other places and they dont seem to have them.

4G64T
10-04-2003, 10:21 PM
you have to use an allen key and a 14mm wrench use the allen key to hold it an tighten the nut with the wrench

JiP
10-06-2003, 09:18 PM
LMAO dont cut them off.

Get a crecent wrench the same size as the nut on the sway bar link. Put it in the back of the link in font of the dust boot on it, theres a holddown nut over there, now using another wrench get the bolt off from the front. Do the same at the bottom.

After that, at the top link since its easier...put the wrench back in the back of the link and just turn the whole thing counterclockwise and the swaybar link will unthread itself from the knuckle and then the bottom part will just fall out.

to install, LOWER THE CAR down with the tire on of course, then lay down and you have to blindly find the holes and stick the links in. Then you can jack the car back up, remove the tire and tighten the nuts onto the links.
If you try to install the links with the car still lifted up youll never get it back in place they just dont line up. Lowered it literally slips right in no force needed it all ligns up perfectly.

Hope that makes sense, I've done it 20 times installing new springs and shocks for people. No need to cutem off.

seth98esT
10-06-2003, 09:30 PM
I did the same as above, but when I lowered the car to put em back on they wouldnt go. So I used a jack and jacked it up a tad untill they fit. I think the driver side fit w/o using anything, just a lil muscles...

qnz
07-02-2005, 06:29 AM
jack up BOTH sides of the car. worked for my 8g

JiP
07-02-2005, 01:28 PM
damn... always makes me laugh when people respond to posts that are 2years old like it was posted yesterday https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

qnz
07-02-2005, 08:31 PM
well this is an informational forum, and i found this post to be lacking some good information. i was searching for a related topic and came across this. some people use the search button.