PDA

View Full Version : Victim of the Balance Shaft Belt

rfpa1
10-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Hello all:

Well: Last Thursday morning I came to be another victim of the Balance Shaft Belt. It broke and cause the Timming Belt to jump. Well you know the rest of the history. I was doing about 70 when it went.

So, 1) is it worth to spend around 1K to fix the head - all 16 valves (might as well the head is out) plus the machine shop plus labor.
2) get a low miles engine
3) get a rebuilt engine around 1200.
4) get a new car.

I have 174K, belts replaced every 50K the last one was replaced at 145K.

I do love the car plus I just finished replacing the whole suspension, I just got my new tires.

Any Ideas.
any hope.

I guess I will be doing some work on it.

peanotation
10-04-2003, 08:59 PM
same exact thing happened to me. exact same its scary, except i only bent about 4 valves. the cool thing about rebuilding your engine, is that its a brand new engine, which is always good when you plan on selling the car, and it runs like brand new. all that HP lost over the years is back. back in black. there's not much you can do but fix it, replace it or get rid of the car, and i never ever do the ladder. love my G.

seth98esT
10-04-2003, 08:59 PM
either do the DOHC headswap or do a complete 4g63t swap as ur engine has high miles anyway. theres no reason to put a rebuilt SOHC head back on

rfpa1
10-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi:

Ok so any good place around ny,nj,pa where I can go to get a rebult engine that any of you have used or know as reliable. I do not want to waste my money either. Iam in a time constraint.

By the way peanotation my galant is same as yours in color. I was looking at that spoiler and never made my mind about getting it. Now that I see it I like it. Also, in the pic, looking at it from the front I see 2 humps on the hood are they locks.

GalantGuy96
10-04-2003, 09:30 PM
yes they are locks

bronxbombr
10-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi:

Ok so any good place around ny,nj,pa where I can go to get a rebult engine that any of you have used or know as reliable. I do not want to waste my money either. Iam in a time constraint.

By the way peanotation my galant is same as yours in color. I was looking at that spoiler and never made my mind about getting it. Now that I see it I like it. Also, in the pic, looking at it from the front I see 2 humps on the hood are they locks.

Buy my engine and then go swap crazy, i'm selling it for only 500 bux. gimme a hollah if u wanna talk.

rfpa1
10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
On this issue. Maybe Manybrews can make a suggestion.

I am going to fix the head on my car so at least I have transportation whle a get an engine.

So:

1) Iam reading the mitsu books on the 95 ES and it says that new head bolts are needed. So where can I find them that are not with the dealer.

2) wht is the diference between a 4g63 and 4g64 - Iam seen more g63s that 64 and at a cheaper price. Can I replace the 63 for the 64, my car use g64.

THanks

Zander
10-18-2003, 08:33 AM
When the belt snaped on my galant I was going to get the head rebuilt and still use that motor while i looked for a new one, but it was going to cost me about $600.00 dollars to get it done. I went to a junkyard bought the 4g63 2.0 for 200.00 with only about 50,000 miles on it. every thing bolted right up execpt for the driver side motor mount i had to cut it and reweld it to make it work, but now every thing runs great and saved $400.00 dollars.

manybrews
10-19-2003, 09:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfpa1)</div><div class='quotemain'>On this issue. Â* Â*Maybe Manybrews can make a suggestion.

I am going to fix the head on my car so at least I have transportation whle a get an engine.

So:

1) Iam reading the mitsu books on the 95 ES and it says that new head bolts are needed. Â*So where can I find them that are not with the dealer.

2) wht is the diference between a 4g63 and 4g64 - Iam seen more g63s that 64 and at a cheaper price. Â*Can I replace the 63 for the 64, my car use g64.

THanks</div>

first thing... replacing or repairing the head is pretty cheap, and WAY better than a junkyard engine, especially if youve taken care of your engine. if it was smoking and running poor before hand, repairing the bent valves arent going to help much.
but i am NOT a fan of junkyard anything. usually, all you get is junk.
also, you do not need to replace the bolts unless they have stretched beyond a specific point. There is an actual spec for it, although I dont know what it is off the top of my head. its in the service manual somewhere.

rfpa1
10-20-2003, 07:16 AM
1) Thanks Manybrews.

2) I visited a couple of JJ and found some engines that looked good, but after openning the head covers found too much crap there. (old oil and to much varnish) Well. I went home and looked at my ride and just started pulling everything out.

Iam rebuilding it myself. I already have a list of bad parts. 8 intake valves, 1 piston (it got really hammerred - you can see the mark of the valve imbeded on the head) and Iam pulling the block out this week so I can pull the cram and check it. Iam going to replace all hoses seals etc.

3) I am going to put some under car lights and do some paint work might as well. I definitely will pull the tranny and take it to ( undecided I only have 2 choices were I live and one you guys already know about).

4) I have the Mitsu book for this car. I guess it will be be fun.

Thanks.

If you need pictures let me know.

JiP
10-20-2003, 11:52 AM
If your gonna do all that might as well build it up and slap a turbo on it =D

manybrews
10-20-2003, 05:01 PM
a dent in the piston doesnt mean it needs to be replaced. 99 percent dont.
The dent is harmless, and wont affect anything.

if the piston is cracked, well, thats a different story.

rfpa1
11-03-2003, 08:07 PM
Ok.

Well we pulled the engine out. The piston in question was cleaned and it was recommended to be replaced. The valve really left an impresion on the piston.

well i an rebuilding it. so I need a suggestion I want to paint the engine.
what color should I use. (Chevy red)

what about powder coating.

any ideas.

thanks

galAZNt
11-05-2003, 03:44 PM
quick question..... how often should you replace the balance shaft belt? how much? I read this and i'm kinda of scare. i got 104 K miles on my car, do a lot of highway traveling, and definately do not want to get stuck on the road.
thank you

rfpa1
11-05-2003, 07:18 PM
I used to do them at 60K now it will be at 40K or 50K plus every month I will look at both belts..

I am starting to reasemble the engine. I will be getting the head tomorrow. I cant wait to try the new engine.