PDA

View Full Version : 2002 GTZ battery got drained now not running right

10-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Hello all
I have a 2002 galant GTZ and through a mistake on my part I the battery became completely drained.
after giving it a jump it is running so bad I cant drive it. It starts but every time I step on the gas it dies.....
Is it possible that letting the battery completely drain has effected the electronics on the car somehow?
Is there some way I can fix it or reset it myself?

Thank you for your help
einsteins

Auto-9
10-05-2003, 03:30 PM
I believe you have no choice but to buy another battery.

10-05-2003, 03:41 PM
I believe you have no choice but to buy another battery.
it sucks, but it's true. That'll teach you to leave your headlights on :twisted:

jk man

einsteins12
10-05-2003, 05:14 PM
So you believe that a new battery will make this run correctly again?
Should I spend the money on a bnew battery before I have it taken to a dealership?

Thankx
einsteins

Reelax
10-05-2003, 05:18 PM
it is pretty much the concesus of the board that the mitsubishi OE batteries SUCK. many of us have upgraded to OPTIMA batteries. do a search for OPTIMA.

btw, how did you drain the battery? it is almost impossible to keep the light on after you have shut down and opened a door... there is an automatic shuttoff circuit on our lights. i think the only way to keep them on is to keep the car on, get out, close the door, then remove your keys from the ignition through the window (the cutoff circuit involves openning the door after you shut down).

einsteins12
10-05-2003, 05:27 PM
Actually my son got sick in the car and we rushed home I put the car in park and ran him into the house....
The car was left running and was low on gas anyway...
it ran out of gas and the ignition was left on thus a dead battery...

I thought that the computer in these get all out of wack when the battery is completely drained....I have never had a problem with the battery prior to this.
I would love to just run and get a battery if that will fix it.
I dont want to buy a battery and find out it needs to be taken to dealer anyways.
would giving it a jump to get it started and still having a low to dead battery cause it to run the way I described in the original post?

Thank you for your help..
einsteins

pinoyesv6
10-05-2003, 05:46 PM
if your car is still under warranty. take it back. especially fi you are scared something is wrong with the car. the dealer will install a new battery and run a check to make sure that everythign is ok on the car.

einsteins12
10-05-2003, 06:10 PM
The car is still under warranty...bought Feb 2002 and has 24k miles on it.
Should I just tell them that the car is now dead and have them fix it that way?

thankx
einsteins

Reelax
10-05-2003, 06:12 PM
if it's under waranty just bring it to the dealership... don't even tell them that you drained the battery... just tell them it's runnig funny and explain the symptoms.

FRCFD6
10-07-2003, 03:13 PM
everytime i disconnect my battery, my galant does the same... the computer had to relearn everything....

mighty
10-07-2003, 04:28 PM
you ran the fuel injected car out of gas???????? not good.
it might not want to drive right now, because there is no gas in it either
I would take it to the dealer, and be quiet lol

conway
11-03-2003, 11:59 PM
I think there are 2 issues with your car :
1) Your battery died, and your computer lost its settings. It needs to relearn. I know this is the procedure with some GM cars, might work here too :
* Warm the car up (run for 10 min).
* Disconnect the battery, let it sit for 2 min, reconnect it. (this clears the computer)
* Start the car, let it idle for a few minutes, then put it in drive, let it idle a few more (holding the brake).
The car should now have idle settings learnt, and should not stall.

Your problem 2 is that you ran the car out of gas. If the above does not solve the problem, take it to the dealer. Running it dry can damage the engine, if its still under warranty, you're lucky https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif