PDA

View Full Version : car idles rough when stoped and in park

99blkgalant
10-06-2003, 02:51 AM
hey guys here i go again with this car

the car is idleing rough when it is parked and when i have my foot on the brake the plugs are new the wires are new and the throttle body has been cleaned and i dont know what it is now i am geting alittle upset with this car.
it drives great doesnt give me any trouble only this idleing this is my problem it is rough i mean like it wants to choke down and die
it only has 55,290 miles on the car now

peanotation
10-06-2003, 03:37 AM
what RPM is ur enging idling at. and when it's dying or sputtering, do the RPMs fluctuate (and if so, by how much). dont need exact numbers here, just approx. could be maybe your idle rpms are too low and the engine is about to die.

99blkgalant
10-06-2003, 10:11 AM
ok it goes from when it is parked from 1 to almost 0 on the rpm
and it only idles rough on it like the car is shakeing and it about to choke up

10-06-2003, 10:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99blkgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok it goes from when it is parked from 1 to almost 0 on the rpm Â*
and it only idles rough on it like the car is shakeing and it about to choke up</div>
clogged fuel filter? Try replacing that, the air filter, checking fuel pump, and make sure your spark plugs are gapped properly. Spark plug gap is a sneaky little problem...some people buy these "pre-gapped" plugs and don't think twice about just bolting them in. Don't but bosch, btw.

pinoyesv6
10-06-2003, 11:22 AM
are you pushing any check engine lights or anything like that?

99blkgalant
10-07-2003, 12:13 AM
nope no check engine lights the shop told me my filter was fine fuel pump is fine air filter is new so

clone2020
10-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Occasional Rough Idle; Vibrations in steering wheel when car is in drive with the brake pedal pressed. (Does not happen in neutral or park)

I've replaced the plugs, wires, coils, thermostat, cleaned TB, reset ECU, timing belt, water pump, oil, ATF, coolant, etc...

I have not seen/heard of a permanent fix for this problem.

-Mike.

Gilhuly
10-09-2003, 02:20 PM
Did you do the throttle cable mod? You should see if your cable is a little too tight on the bracket back on the firewall. Sounds like your idle is too high. What are your RPMs in Park?

99blkgalant
10-10-2003, 12:50 AM
no i didnt do anything to it but it sits at below 1 rpm kinda funny to me

Liszt
10-10-2003, 01:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(99blkgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>no i didnt do anything to it but it sits at below 1 rpm kinda funny to me</div>

I just pressure washed my engine last weekend and threw an ses light and had some idle problems for about 2 days. It was odd because when driving the car was a.o.k. but when stopped and running the car would idle below 1000 rpm to like 800 or 750 and really start to shake like a piston wasn't just right (that feeling). When you put the car in neutral it was fine but in any drive gear like d or reverse it went funky. It passed in a couple of days and the ses light just went out (I didn't notice). I still haven't been able to figure out what happened. Any ideas?

Gilhuly
10-10-2003, 02:29 PM
FYI

My car idles in gear at around 650-700, very minor vibration. In neutral, smooth as butta and idle at like 1k.

At the end of the day, it's an air/fuel thing, perhaps because something that is being told to adjust by the computer isn't or it's a spark thing. What kind of gas you guys runnin on which motor?

Liszt
10-10-2003, 06:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>FYI

My car idles in gear at around 650-700, very minor vibration. Â*In neutral, smooth as butta and idle at like 1k.

At the end of the day, it's an air/fuel thing, perhaps because something that is being told to adjust by the computer isn't or it's a spark thing. Â*What kind of gas you guys runnin on which motor?</div>

I have the same as you, a 6g72, 99 model es, I idle in gear at about 1k and don't know in neutral. my car's ok now, just was wondering what might have caused the ses trip

Gilhuly
10-14-2003, 12:29 PM
Liszt,

Had you just done an oil change?

Liszt
10-14-2003, 01:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Liszt,

Had you just done an oil change?</div>

no