PDA

View Full Version : Shift knob question

Bonez
10-07-2003, 06:40 AM
A guys i was wondering if anyone modified one of those wal-mart shift knobs from wal-mart to fit our car. I have a black and chrome one and it's not long like the levoc ones but it short and it's for a stick. And i wanted to know it anyone modified it yet and how you did it. It doesn't have a button on it. To shift you have to push it down then shift. It's looks tight though. It's on there now but it just moves around and twists because i don't have it securely on there. Thanks!

pinoyesv6
10-07-2003, 07:04 AM
i guess thats me. mine didn't come from walmart but ebay is kinda like it. this is what i did.

went down to home depot and bought a copper pipe. the copper pipe was big enough to fit over the shaft for the shifter. i also bought a coupling for that size pipe.

i then took the shift knob and took it to the grinder. i ground off the threads off the bottom of the knob. in my case, doing that made it possible to slip the knob into the coupling.

then the pipe. i cut that so that it can slip onto the coupling and knob and be able to push the shifter mechanism down. uhm. i made sure taht it was long enough so that i have screw holes on the pipe for the two screws. but short enough so it doesn't mess with the other shifter parts.

once you do that, the knob will wobble less on the shifter mechanism but you can still spin it around. to stop the spinning. i took my drill and drilled a channel in the pipe. the channel was bigger than the screws for the oem shifter but smaller than the screw heads. the channel was an inch or two long starting from the bottom screw hole. make sure you can shift to all the gears. too short of a channel and you won't be able to shift into all the gears.

finally i covered everything up with a boot.

you can cut that plastic triangle piece to make the knob sit lower but...if you cut it too short than the knob won't shift at all and you'd have to add on to the inside of the shift knob to push down on that piece on the shifter.

proceed with caution and make sure you know what u doing before you start. ain't my fault if u fuck up or it dun work for u.

Bonez
10-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Alright man thanks. But i don't want to sound dumb but what's a coupling?? Is it like a bigger piece that goes over the pipe that has threads or something?? And do you have any pics??

pinoyesv6
10-07-2003, 10:58 PM
a coupling is the piece that joins two pieces of pipe together. just ask the guy at the hardware store. its should be made out of copper too. it makes couples, hence the name coupling.

as for pictures, i might have some on the board. i dunno. i remember taking pictures but i don't remember if they were posted or not and since then i lost my hard drive. but i'll take pictures sometime this month since im planning on getting a new knob.

Bonez
10-08-2003, 10:37 AM
oh ok i got everything i need then thanks