PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Power

CNascimento
09-11-2002, 10:55 PM
So everyone what is the best braking system to go with?

I've heard go things about Bear...

pinoyesv6
09-11-2002, 11:12 PM
there are many braking systems out there. uhm each has their ups and downs.

you can upgrade your rotors and pads. that can add to your stopping capabilities without spending too much money.

uhm if you have an i4, you can possibly switch to a disc setup for possible gains and to open up more options for your rears.

aem makes a nice big brake upgrade for the front discs and rear brakes. these still utilize the stock calipers and can add to your stopping capabilities also. pad to rotor contact plays a big role in stopping capabilities but since these are much larger rotors, they don't heat up as quick as oem sized rotors and as we all know heat adds to the stopping distance. FYI, drum brakes are really good designed brakes. Its downfall is that since all the braking is enclosed in that drum, its harder for heat to escape thus decreasing its peformance

aem baer and brembo also make front upgrade kits that also upgrade the calipers also. these will stop your car on a dime so to speak. uhm as far as i know, the brembo ones are on back order, the baers are nice, comes in many finishes, i hear of a possible rear upgrade for the baer, the aems are good too. maybe get one of their rear brake upgrades to kinda match things out possibly

1 more thing with the larger rotor upgrades, you will need at least a 17 inch rim to clear the caliper...good time to get new wheels i say.

all in all, choose the brake upgrade that best suits u. i mean i don't suggest wasting ur money on the top of the line kit with staps on like half a dime if you're just gonna take the kids to skool or to drive over to granny's house.

CNascimento
09-12-2002, 09:18 AM
Well Thanks for the info... This should help me out... Anyway I have the 2001 LS V6 .... My only problem is that I have 18's for Summer, Fall and Spring but in the Winter I switch back to the stock wheels (i live in New England and the winter is never nice) So my issue is that I would like to up grade to a Bear system but you mention that the stock 16's will not work with the system? Should or could I just up grade the rotor only would the stock then fit

pinoyesv6
09-12-2002, 11:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CNascimento)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well Thanks for the info... This should help me out... Anyway I have the 2001 LS V6 .... My only problem is that I have 18's for Summer, Fall and Spring but in the Winter I switch back to the stock wheels (i live in New England and the winter is never nice) Â* So my issue is that I would like to up grade to a Bear system but you mention that the stock 16's will not work with the system? Â*Should or could I just up grade the rotor only would the stock then fit</div>

if you are going with the baer kit, maybe u wanna go get some used 17's or some eclipse 17's or something. some cheap wheels so u can have the baer on all year long. a lil more expense but a true sacfrifice for excellence

if you wanna just keep your 16's then just upgrade the rotor to an agftermarket type with the stock size, maybe upgrade the pads and ur str8