PDA

View Full Version : 7G (98 Specific) How to: Install an SAFC/SAFCII

seth98esT
10-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Caution: This is for instructions on how to install an SAFC on a 98 specific Galant. I am pretty sure 96-98 had the same ECU so you will have to check your wiring before you start splicing. I am in no way respoinsible if you screw something up.

Skill Level: 3
No real car knowledge is needed for this isntall. Pretty much just finding the ECU and tapping a few wires. MOST of you could do this.

Well I am pretty sure the SAFC and SAFCII wires are the same so here you go. Tools needed:

Tapping connectors (optional)
Reg connectors (optional)
Wire strippers
Phillips screwdriver
10mm socket

Alright, the best way to install this is to solder the SAFC wires up to the ECU wires, but I didnt feel like it so I bought some cool tapping connectors at Wal-Mart. They are real easy to use and are not permanent.

Before you touch anything, disconnect your battery.

1) Take off the lower passenger side "kick panel". Its on the passengers side, under the dash, on the center console. There should be two pieces to it, the lower smaller piece and a bigger piece above it. You only need to take off the lower piece as the upper piece will require you to take out your glove box.

2) Locate your ECU. You cant really see it from just looking at it. Its kinda back aways and up a little. Its a silver metal box with 4 connectors going to it. On my car there was a metal bar in the way, making it hard to get to the wires. So I took a 10mm socket and un-bolted the bottum and bent it upwards till it was out of the way.

3) Disconnect the 4 connectors from the ECU. Now there should be 1 white connector below the ECU(not going to the ECU). If you do not disconnect this then you cannot pull the wires out very far.

4) Disconnect the wires from the firewall. They are zip tied to the firewall, I just broke the zip tie.

5) Now pull the wires out as far as they will go and organize the connectors. The biggest connector is the first, 12/13 and 25/26 are the bigger red/black wires, those are your pwr/grnd(See Diagram below)

6) Splice all the wires together as showed in the diagram except follow this diagram on how to hook up your ground and a/f wires(Dont follow the colors of the wires, for that see my diagram).

http://tgcia.galants.com/safcgrnd.jpg

7) Follow this diagram for the rest of the wiring(I have 2 pwr/grnds, but you only need to hook the SAFC wires to one of them):
http://tgcia.galants.com/safcwiring.jpg

Note: My a/f wire was white with a black stripe, the throttle was green w/ black stripe, rpm was white, pwr was a larger red wire, and the ground was a larger black wire.

9) Hook the ECU connectors back up they way they came out. Bend back the bar if you removed the screw, re-install the kick panel.

8) Hook up the SAFC, turn on your car and see if it turns on. Check the voltages and everything through the SAFC and you should be good to go.

peanotation
10-08-2003, 12:28 PM
seth...is....the....man................thanks

2True
10-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Dude, that totally ROCKS! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Mindless
10-08-2003, 01:24 PM
Good job bro! My S-AFC should be here this week, so thanks for the info.

brandon
10-08-2003, 02:12 PM
What everyone else said...

So, is there any tutorial you haven't made yet? haha

krazienluv10
10-08-2003, 06:36 PM
nice https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Marine22punksk8
10-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Sorry to be so dumb but I have no clue what any of this is? So if you could tell me what this will do to my '98 galant. I would appreciate it so I can do it. Thanks

Kinda like I need a book on modifing your 7G Galant for Dummies.

brandon
10-09-2003, 10:28 AM
It's a tuning tool.

For more info visit:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp ('http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp')

seth98esT
10-09-2003, 12:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marine22punksk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry to be so dumb but I have no clue what any of this is? So if you could tell me what this will do to my '98 galant. I would appreciate it so I can do it. Thanks

Kinda like I need a book on modifing your 7G Galant for Dummies.</div>

it wont do anything unless youve done mods, mods like cam and cam gear, turbo, bigger injectors. basically allows you to change the fuel curve at all rpms.

brandon
10-13-2003, 08:40 AM
Hey Seth,

Where did you mount your AFC?

seth98esT
10-13-2003, 09:48 AM
same place as 2true did for now, right above the HVAC controls. Havent driven my car in a week though, and probably will not keep it there...

brandon
05-17-2004, 07:55 AM
NOTE: If you have a 96, the pinouts are numbered differently, but located in the same spots.

Also, make sure when you're looking at the diagram you match it up correctly to the harnesses/pinouts. It's common sense but after a few beers you convince yourself things are right when they're really not. haha (explanation in separate post)

AWDsuperstar
07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Is there any way someone can rehost the pictures for me? I am just getting red Xs.

Thanks

8G_GTZ
10-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Is there any way someone can rehost the pictures for me? I am just getting red Xs.

Thanks

same, i really need to hook mine up. that'd be great seth. thanks

steve

seth98esT
10-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Im not sure if I have the pics anymore or not. I will have to look around on my PC after I get off work. Steve, I can help you hook yours up when I get down to STL one of these days...

8G_GTZ
10-15-2004, 11:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im not sure if I have the pics anymore or not. Â*I will have to look around on my PC after I get off work. Â*Steve, I can help you hook yours up when I get down to STL one of these days...</div>

when is that seth? seriously.....but i was offered $50 to put it in by a guy i work with at Adrenaline outside of work because Adrenaline does it for 100. please come by soon, i want to hear that bitch runnin. andi got my new tires so my front isn't steelies anymore.

steve

brandon
10-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Yikes. $50 to connect a few wires? Go to the dealer and get the printout and you'll be good to go.

Turbo Snail
01-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Does this controller make a big difference in performance? I am very interested in purchasing one.

brandon
01-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Does this controller make a big difference in performance? I am very interested in purchasing one.

Assuming you have a JDM turbo 7G, it could make a difference if you get it tuned properly. By itself you will not see gains.

Blue Ice
05-10-2005, 08:57 AM
For those like myself that don't know much about safc
http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-SAFC.htm ('http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/answers-SAFC.htm')

THE-G
09-27-2006, 04:47 PM
DO U NEED A SAFC TO RUN A TURBO

seth98esT
09-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Ehh please search kind sir. The SAFC is not the best way to go if you are turboing an NA.

But in general, if you are going to turbo your Galant, YOU NEED some sort of fuel management. The SAFC would work but there are far better options out there. When this post was created 3 years ago, it was by far the easiest choice for tuning and not much else out there was better for the price .... kinda.

THE-G
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
what are the far better options

4-G-rim
09-27-2006, 07:35 PM
what are the far better options

There is a MAFT translator which can be purchased for around &#036;250-&#036;300. You should though need to purchase a GM MAF to replace the Mitsubishi MAF. The newer generation MAFT's allow more tuning options compared to just a SAFC. This also allows you to "vent to the atomosphere" rather than recirculating the vented air back. I could explain MAFT pro to you..but I would rather you read about it by the people that developed it themselves.

MAFT Pro (http://www.maftpro.com)

Also you can EPROM the ECU...if your particular ECU has a EPROM chip. This is a old and common but yet still VERY EFFECTIVE ecu modification. Basically you would take it to someplace that specializes in EPROM ECU modifications and reprograms the ECU. The stock ECU will only work within its paremeters...once you do modifications that is beyond the ECU limits, your modifications are useless. Basically whoever EPROM's your ECU will take account what modifications done to the motor and inputs new parameters to where the ECU recognizes them like if were programmed from the factory. This results basically your modifications giving you the results you expected.

Or you can always install a Piggyback system like a Greddy Emage or AEM but for the DSM/Mitsubishi camp, most usually resort to MAFTpro, DSMlink, or Heavily modified EPROM ECU's or Reflashes. :cool:

koji464
06-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Might be picking one up in the next week for $100 (safc2) I've been comming across some really weird ass deals lately:102:I just found this thread tonight hoping this forum would help, and BAM! MY MY I LOVE THIS FORUM

*******THANKS SETH98EST & STREETDREAMS***********

Galanttuner10
06-23-2009, 04:32 AM
that is a sweet deal now what are you using it to tune.. are you turbo???

XXL4G64
10-16-2011, 05:44 PM
I would like to know what cost more in anyone that have had safc 2 vs dsmlink cost?

mko
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
dsm link most def. you can find safc 1 for like 100 bucks