PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good way to shave the emblems????

the juice
10-10-2003, 08:53 AM
i want to shave the emblems but dont want to ruin the paint..someone help me out here thanks

Ed
10-10-2003, 09:34 AM
take a pair of clippers and shave away..... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

sorry...I took a old credit card and slide it behind the letters until I could pull them off. Then take some wax and buff the spots out....take any of that double sided tape off first.

TexasMade
10-10-2003, 09:50 AM
i used fishing string to do it, kinda like flossing. i bought some shit from auto zone to get the sticker residue off. then like ed said...wax and buff the area.

break
10-10-2003, 09:58 AM
some lotion with Lanolin will help weaken the tape on the badges, take some fishing line (if you fish) and floss it off. wipe the lotion off, get some goo gone and put some elbow grease.

it'll take a hell of a lot of work, but don't get discouraged. lighter fluid works, too, but if you're not used to using it on paint/clearcoat, i wouldn't suggest it.

Dre
10-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Fishing line works great. Also, try to get as much of the adhesive off first, before using something like Goo Gone on it. After removing the emblem, you can actually "roll" the remaining adhesive with your fingers to get it off by pushing on it. Then use Goo Gone or whatever to get the remaining little parts of the adhesive. Then wax and/or buff as necessary. Either way you choose, you should not have any problems. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

bsimpson38
10-10-2003, 03:27 PM
fishing line, bug and tar wipes by armoral, and just roll excess off with fingernail/credit card. Really easy, entire back end in 1/2 hour. Be careful not to go to fast with fishing line or will heat up and keep breaking on you(experience) patience man, patience.

ChromeGalant
10-10-2003, 03:30 PM
I had a beer in one hand.. tried the fishing line method and nearly cut my finger off... soooo I said F-K it and just pulled them all off.. then rubbed the after-gunk off with my finger..

Jet Black
10-10-2003, 07:05 PM
WHATEVER you do, DO NOT do what I did, and use a flat headed screw driver. :nono:

SilverDragonGTZ
10-10-2003, 07:14 PM
i used a hair dryer to heat up the glue...cause it was about 50 degrees when i did it...and tried the fishing line but it kept breaking...so i just peeled them off with a gloved hand (gettin a lil warm from the hair dryer) then used goo gone on the glue...and did it in like 20 minutes or so...hell of a lot easier than i thought it would be...you can do the V6's on the fenders if you have a v6, the "mitsubishi" and "es" or "gtz" or whatever you have on the left and right sides of the trunk...and the "galant" on the trunk...but not the tri-stars...they're held in by screws i believe...

pinoyesv6
10-10-2003, 08:58 PM
the triple diamond is help in with double stick tape. mitsu added pins to the emblem and put two holes in the trunk to help align the emblem. once you get most of the tape cut off from the back of the triple diamond, you can just open the trunk and push the pins outward to get the diamond out easier

Va_G_Unit
10-11-2003, 06:45 PM
The only thing that sucks about taking the rear emblem off is that you have 2 holes in the trunk afterwards.

The 99 Galant
10-12-2003, 12:17 AM
well i helped the guy from a body shop take mine off. First get either a fish line or a really good, long blade buddy knife from a model/hobby shop. Pull back the emblem just enough so that you can stick the knife back there. Slowly pull the emblem off but as you pull the knife pull the knife left and towards you so you don't get the paint. You can do the same thing for the chrome part on the trunk but do that last so you have the hang of cutting through the tape. Don't worry about getting lots of the tape i'll tell you how to get that off later. The hardest emblem for me to get off is the "T" and the "L" since they tend to bend as you lift it off. But get them off and you'll see gobs of tape. Don't my friend. Get a large eraser from your little brothers or sisters bookback and start rubbing the tape down with them. In the body shop the guy had an eraser buffer so it went a lot faster and easier. But just start rubbing. To make it easier they sell stuff called an adhesive remover. Its a liquid thing. I think car places will sell it in small bottle for about 5$ and the huge economy one for 40$. Put that stuff on it and it makes it a lots easier. You can also just wet the area to help the rubbing. But rub it down with the eraser. The best kind of eraser is the clear tannish one, now the red ones on those normal pencils. On the chrome the best thing to do is just wet it and rub it down with your fingernail and a towel. After that wax the thing like its your girlfriends butt and make it really shiny.

galantv600
10-12-2003, 11:53 AM
i used fishing line on my uncles galant n it worked sweet!!!

Marky
10-29-2003, 10:35 AM
the juice where are you located?? if your willing to come to NJ right off routh 4 I will do it for you for free there is a machine that is used to do this its kinda like a hair dryer but it gets allot hotter all you have to do is heat it with this and it comes clean off I did mines and it looks like nothing was even there let me know what you think, Most dealerships should have this tool as well.

jusmills
10-29-2003, 10:53 AM
Marky--the tool is a heat gun--those things get mad hot like 500-700F... BTW I used a butter knife with duct tape to cut throught the double sided tape, then I rolled the rest off with my fingers. Afterwards at little 3M adhesive remover over the spots will take off the residual goo--wax the spot when you're done and it looks as good as new

Marky
10-29-2003, 12:36 PM
that sounds like it can work as well but I never tried it that way that only way I know is the heat gun, Thanks for the name jusmills