PDA

View Full Version : Best RPM Range For Best Gas Mileage?

Jet Black
10-11-2003, 04:45 AM
Just wondering what the best RPM range would be for the best gas mileage on the freeway. I heard it was under 3k.

BTW I have a 99 V6.

Thanks

Lazarus
10-11-2003, 04:50 AM
good wuestio but I don't think it matters. as long as you keep it steady and your not speeking up and slowing down as long as your staying steady you should be better off. you waste more gas from starting up and stopping that's wht your highway miles are better than your City.

CT_GalantV6
10-11-2003, 08:30 AM
The lower the RPM's the better your mileage will be. Think about when your car idles, on full tank of gas it would run for a long, long time just idleing and 750 rpm. The best way increase your mileage is to be litefooted on the gas when engine is cold (not up to operating temp), nice easy slow acceleration, slow down for stop lights and stop sign way before you get to them, and don't go over the posted seed limit. I drive alot, and I have the v6, and thats what I have found will give me the best mileage. On a full tank of gas, if I'm on the pedal hard alot I will only get about 280 miles, but if I go nice and easy as described above then I can go 350 miles on full tank (all combo city/hiway driving). The biggest killer of mileage is acceleration, hard accel. uses more gas then slow accel. Once your up to speed, keeping the rpm to a min. will also help, which means 55-60mph range, which is also very boring, but will give you your best mileage.

Happy driving!!!

Kalamidad
10-11-2003, 01:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>55-60mph range</div>
as suggested in the owner's manual for my i4.

10-12-2003, 02:20 AM
don't go over about 60-70% throttle. Most cars automatically richen out the air fuel ratio as a safeguard against knock, but this also wastes gas.

BlueESV6
10-16-2003, 01:33 PM
The lower the RPM's the better your mileage will be.

Also, your car will get better gas mileage with the windows up then down b/c of aerodynamics.

One summer trip I ran one tank with windows up and A/C on and one tank with windows down and A/C off... the car got more miles out of the windows up and A/C on configuration.... I chalked it up to aerodynamics.... also had the cruise set on the same speed for both.

(I love cruise https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif )

10-16-2003, 01:43 PM
The lower the RPM's the better your mileage will be.
Happy driving!!!
well, thats not entirely true...to a certain extent, yes, lower RPM's mean less gas usage, but it really depends quite a bit on your gear ratios, speed, and fuel maps.
For example, an Integra type-R gets better fuel economy than an LS at 80mph. The integra type R has shorter gears than an LS, which put the R at about 4000RPM's @ 80mph. The LS is about 3500, at the same speed. Torque multiplication is increased as the gears get shorter, meaning that it takes a shorter-geared car less energy (in the form of gas) to maintain constant speed on the highway than a longer-geared car. Most manufacturers know this, so they knock down fuel delivery under 1-40% throttle at highway speeds, which = better gas mileage.

peanotation
10-16-2003, 01:49 PM
On a full tank of gas, if I'm on the pedal hard alot I will only get about 280 miles, but if I go nice and easy as described above then I can go 350 miles on full tank (all combo city/hiway driving).

man, you guys are lucky. on my I4 if i drive nice and easy, i'll be lucky if i get 250, but if i drive like i do, 200 miles per tank of gas. god damn cai

10-16-2003, 01:52 PM
On a full tank of gas, if I'm on the pedal hard alot I will only get about 280 miles, but if I go nice and easy as described above then I can go 350 miles on full tank (all combo city/hiway driving).

man, you guys are lucky. on my I4 if i drive nice and easy, i'll be lucky if i get 250, but if i drive like i do, 200 miles per tank of gas. god damn cai
damn...when i get on for like an entire tank of gas, I get like 250 miles...out of a 10-gallon tank https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

CT_GalantV6
10-18-2003, 08:51 AM
I am not claiming to be an expert by any means and I would say that all the above posts are accuate in thier own right. But the post is about the Mitsubishi 8th gen Galant v6, which I have and have put about 140k miles on, so I can say that I'm expert in the RPM to mileage ratio on this vehical.

I dont care what ANY other car does at certain RPMs or %of throttle or what any spec sheet says(not being hostle, just trying to stay on the subject). In the 8th Gen 3.0 v6, at highway speed, the lower the RPM, the better your mileage will be. Plain and simple. If I go 55-60mph, I get better mileage than if I go 75-80mph, which is in fact without a doubt your engine running at a lower RPM. This v6 should be well under 3k RPM (Jet black's original question) in the 55-60mph range. Of course, a CAI or cone filter will cause more air to enter the intake plenum which will cause the ECU to dump more fuel which will decrease you mileage even at the the lower RPMs.

Just to be fair, I can compare to another car. My '85 CRX(winter beater) is an I4, 1.5lt, 10 gl tank. I have pushed it 320 miles on a full tank. Runs about 3k RPM on the highway in the 60mph range. So, although its RPM is higher than our 3.0 v6, it gets better mileage, why you ask. Its smaller displacement simply uses less fuel that a larger displacement engine. Which means it doesnt apply to this thread. Maybe I'm just crazy or just talking out my butt, can someone else chime in here who maybe is an expert. :spinner:[/b]

00GTZ00
10-18-2003, 02:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CT_GalantV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am not claiming to be an expert by any means and I would say that all the above posts are accuate in thier own right. But the post is about the Mitsubishi 8th gen Galant v6, which I have and have put about 140k miles on, so I can say that I'm expert in the RPM to mileage ratio on this vehical.

I dont care what ANY other car does at certain RPMs or %of throttle or what any spec sheet says(not being hostle, just trying to stay on the subject). In the 8th Gen 3.0 v6, at highway speed, the lower the RPM, the better your mileage will be. Plain and simple. If I go 55-60mph, I get better mileage than if I go 75-80mph, which is in fact without a doubt your engine running at a lower RPM. This v6 should be well under 3k RPM (Jet black's original question) in the 55-60mph range. Of course, a CAI or cone filter will cause more air to enter the intake plenum which will cause the ECU to dump more fuel which will decrease you mileage even at the the lower RPMs.

Just to be fair, I can compare to another car. My '85 CRX(winter beater) is an I4, 1.5lt, 10 gl tank. I have pushed it 320 miles on a full tank. Runs about 3k RPM on the highway in the 60mph range. So, although its RPM is higher than our 3.0 v6, it gets better mileage, why you ask. Its smaller displacement simply uses less fuel that a larger displacement engine. Which means it doesnt apply to this thread. Maybe I'm just crazy or just talking out my butt, can someone else chime in here who maybe is an expert. :spinner:[/b]</div>

totally agree

BUT for the GALANT (no other car) the RPM's do not matter unless you have changed your gears. Why? Because they are all autos. Just leave your car in D and do the speed limit. This way you will get the best gas miliage out of your car. and by doing the speed limit you will minimize the amount of people you piss off while driving! LOL

Galant_01
10-18-2003, 04:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00GTZ00)</div><div class='quotemain'> totally agree

BUT for the GALANT (no other car) the RPM's do not matter unless you have changed your gears. Why? Because they are all autos. Just leave your car in D and do the speed limit. This way you will get the best gas miliage out of your car. and by doing the speed limit you will minimize the amount of people you piss off while driving! LOL</div>
So in according to what you are saying I can Redline my car all the way to the "Speed Limit" and get great gas mileage. I don't think so... Just because the car is an auto you still have to keep your RPM's down. The objective is to push the gas pedal just enough so that your Automatic Tranny shifts itself at around 3000 or 3500 RPM's maintaning smooth transitions between gears. And all cars are program to get optimal gas mileage at 65 MPH because of Clean Air Laws. They test the cars at speed and so the car has to fun effecient and clean at speed.
Anyway - I am no expert either - Just my opinion.

Auto-9
10-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Like someone already said, there's more involved than just RPMs.

Jet Black
10-18-2003, 04:45 PM
What about cruise control? Do we get better gas mileage with cruise control on?

tribal
10-21-2003, 08:32 AM
I think the most I gotten out of a full tank of gas in my 99 esv6 is probably like 170 at quarter tank left. I drive alot every day and not necessarily the speed limit so I guess I should slow down and save me some money :roll:

00GTZ00
10-21-2003, 09:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant_01)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(00GTZ00)</div><div class='quotemain'> totally agree

BUT for the GALANT (no other car) the RPM's do not matter unless you have changed your gears. Why? Because they are all autos. Just leave your car in D and do the speed limit. This way you will get the best gas miliage out of your car. and by doing the speed limit you will minimize the amount of people you piss off while driving! LOL</div>
So in according to what you are saying I can Redline my car all the way to the "Speed Limit" and get great gas mileage. I don't think so... Just because the car is an auto you still have to keep your RPM's down. The objective is to push the gas pedal just enough so that your Automatic Tranny shifts itself at around 3000 or 3500 RPM's maintaning smooth transitions between gears. And all cars are program to get optimal gas mileage at 65 MPH because of Clean Air Laws. They test the cars at speed and so the car has to fun effecient and clean at speed.
Anyway - I am no expert either - Just my opinion.</div>

I was takiling about crusing speed, not acceleration. EVERYONE should know that redlining in 1st 2nd and 3rd to get up to speed will hurt your MPG. IF you drive easy to get up to speed (by having the car shift between 2700-3400rpms) and CRUISE at the given speed limit, that should be the best of both worlds.....