PDA

View Full Version : Galant Brakes Suck

LatinGalant
09-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Fellow Galant owners, I see so many posts with issues regarding brakes. Point blank Mitsubishi Galants have issues with their brakes from granny driven galants to hardcore racers no matter what driving habit's one has the brakes warp, screech, and squeel. I starting having problems with my brakes at 12,000 miles on my 02 es 4cycl. Took to the dealer they get turned and turned and turned and recently I have been told by the dealer that it's normal. Out of all the cars I have driven and all my friends cars I have only seen this grave problem in the following vehicles. Dodge stratus 95-99; Dodge Avenger; Mitsubishi galant 97-2002, Mitsubishi Galant 99-02. I find it funny that after research all these cars are based on the same platform and use the same basic parts. By the way I have family and friends that own all these cars this is not made up. My mom personally owned the stratus and she is not an aggresive driver we replaced the front and rear rotors and drums, shoes and pads 5 times!!! in one year. And the horror starts agian with my purchase of the galant. I am sick of Mitsubishi treating us like garbage with these lies, this problem is not only embarrasing when braking but hindering my saftey. Something must be done, I like my galant but I have already had to have the freakin tranny rebuilt they say that galants have been coming like that from the factory, and now the brakes. We don't deserve this we are proud of our cars and many of us feel them as our pride and joy and I feel like crap when I told 4 of my friends to buy it and they did 2000 es; 2002 de; 2002 es; 2000 es. We need to work together and find a resolution to this, we deserve compensation.

RedGalant2k1
09-12-2002, 02:59 PM
If it makes you feel any better EVERY Honda except the Type-Rs and S2000 have worse brakes then us.

The Civics 70-0 is like 190+ft. Ours is like 170ft with a 500lb heavier car.

i didn't get my rotors turned until nearly 30,000 miles. Just be more gradual on the brakes and they should last a few more thousand miles.

galant2kde
09-12-2002, 03:33 PM
how do we fix the problem dealer dont belive us and say we hard heavy drivers

Gilhuly
09-12-2002, 03:39 PM
Save yourself the heartache and get aftermarket rotors and pads when you get out of warrantee. Just plan for it and then you'll have awesome brakes. I had a volvo back in the early 90's and it was way worse.

Auto-9
09-12-2002, 06:39 PM
Only problem I've had with my brakes so far scares the crap out of me. Sure the squealing is annoying but my brakes are inconsistent. Sometimes they will stop my car on a dime, other times absolutely nothing happens. Both the dealership and people I've gone to for second opinions can't figure out what's happening.

TJC
09-12-2002, 07:03 PM
It's definitely the warped rotors b/c of poor materials used and/or bad design. Either way, even replacing the rotor with another one that's the same will sooner or later result in the same problems. The way I see it and what ppl have been through, only winning a class action suit against Mitsubishi and their less than acceptable industry norm for wear and tear on the single most important safety device on a vehicle may prompt them to look into a replacement part to fix the problem.

So bottomline is, if you want to do something about this defective part, get an aftermarket one before something serious happens. That's the best long term advice I can recommend...... seriously.

I know when I use my brakes, sometimes it's good and other times it's barely controllable at best. This is one thing on the car you don't want to take a chance on when an emergency situation comes up.

BlueESV6
09-12-2002, 08:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Save yourself the heartache and get aftermarket rotors and pads when you get out of warrantee. Â*Just plan for it and then you'll have awesome brakes...</div>

I, like many others, had the rotors turned, turned, replaced, turned and then the warranty ran out. I bought aftermarket crossdrilled for the fronts (they are the ones that warped) and presto! NO MORE PROBLEMS!!

I like the way it stops now... much better... you actually feel the pads "grabbing" the rotors to stop you... and best of all no more ridiculous shaking! (hurray)

I know this has been said before but torque, torque, torque the lugs. Don't trust the mecahnic and you'll stay truer a lot longer. (80 ft lbs :wink: )

RedGalant2k1
09-12-2002, 09:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Only problem I've had with my brakes so far scares the crap out of me. Sure the squealing is annoying but my brakes are inconsistent. Sometimes they will stop my car on a dime, other times absolutely nothing happens. Both the dealership and people I've gone to for second opinions can't figure out what's happening.</div>

Do you have any leakage? or do you have to keep filling your brake fluid?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>Save yourself the heartache and get aftermarket rotors and pads when you get out of warrantee. Â*Just plan for it and then you'll have awesome brakes. Â*I had a volvo back in the early 90's and it was way worse.</div>

Warranty? On brakes? not a chance. Its a wear and tear item no dealer will warranty warped rotors.

7h3_wh173_kn16h7
09-12-2002, 09:57 PM
any makes u guys have in mind for rotors and brakes for after market?? i am thinking getting them change next week...also what spark plugs is best for our cars??how much they will cost?

TJC
09-12-2002, 10:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(7h3_wh173_kn16h7)</div><div class='quotemain'>any makes u guys have in mind for rotors and brakes for after market?? i am thinking getting them change next week...also what spark plugs is best for our cars??how much they will cost?</div>

Wow, that's a rather general blanket statement that covers all. Better use the "search" function up top to get you started, hehe. :wink:

So you looking to get OEM size, big brake, or full kits with calipers for over $1000. Name your price, hehe.

Tiller
09-12-2002, 11:29 PM
Get a Baer track kit... i just ordered mine... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

manybrews
09-12-2002, 11:55 PM
{sigh}.

you all outta try working in the industry.

i have a freaky little fact for ya..
mitsus current "brake complaint" percentage is actually lower than the industry standard.

it WAS high as hell, but since mitsu told all its dealers to turn the rotors on the car, the problems have literall been cut in half.

yeah, the rotors are weak. but its not like its unsafe or something. its not as though the brakes are going to suddenly stop functioning, and fall off the car.
could their brake systems use some work? sure.. everyones could (go drive a gm truck sometime)..
but keep in mind one thing, here.. its about money. 99 percent of the people dont need or want super-duper-4 piston-aluminum caliper- carbon disc brakes, cause it would add a thousand dollars to its cost.
and also remember, the galant in base trim is just a basic sedan. its not like its a racer, or something.
admittedly, the v6 is sportier, but they also have better brakes on them.

Tiller
09-13-2002, 12:03 AM
i haven't really had any reason for complaint on mine... i only had the car for 3 months though... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif but i do no tlike the mushiness in the pedal... I like a firm pedal feel...

of course those 13" 2 piece rotors will look alot better than the stock ones... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

TJC
09-13-2002, 12:16 AM
I know what you are saying manybrews and those figures on current "brake complaint" percentage might actually lower than the industry standard but that doesn't mean they should fail before 20k. They should also not need to be turned after the fact that it has been sold and not done properly right out of the factory. This is just not acceptable, period. Furthermore, even if they were cutting/keeping costs down on the lower trims, why then is there this problem even in the top of the trimline level like the GTZ. Either way, I feel it's below standard whether the dealer ultimately hears about it or not. I have personally experienced it and there are definitely many here that talk about the same problem.

Bottomline is the average person is not going to take the time and expense to deal with a big company, many just choose to deal with the problem on their own. Whether it's voiced or not, it still doesn't rectify or justify the problems we obviously experience.

Normally I would advocate just calling headquarters in the U.S. to talk to customer service if the local dealer is giving you problems. However this is different because I know it's a problem with a "part", specifically the rotors. And there's nothing that even the dealer can do for us b/c even changing to a new pair of rotors or even giving you say a brand new Galant GTZ for arguments sake, I know the problem would eventually arise. This is sad b/c I know there is NO solution available even from the manufacturer's stand point unless there was a class action suit that forces them to make a new part b/c it was proven in the case that that is the cause. To this day, there is nothing they can really do for us to correct this problem. I have never had this problem with any of my past half a dozen cars.

Wintergalant
09-13-2002, 12:37 AM
If you think mitsu has problems with brakes get in my 95 Chevrolet Z71 truck and stop in that hugh thing i can have my rotors turned it dosent do any good they get worse so i have to by new ones everytime i replace brakes and the rotors arent cheap neither https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

TJC
09-13-2002, 12:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wintergalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you think mitsu has problems with brakes get in my 95 Chevrolet Z71 truck and stop in that hugh thing i can have my rotors turned it dosent do any good they get worse so i have to by new ones everytime i replace brakes and the rotors arent cheap neither Â*:(</div>

Hahaha, if that's the case, you might as well invest in 4-piston calipers and large brake rotors. You'll come out ahead in the long run and have good brakes, hehe.

I have driven my friends '60 something mustang and those drum brakes are impossible to stop a car. Now that's a workout, lol.

Auto-9
09-13-2002, 06:52 AM
The G35's brakes on the other hand are the extreme opposite...if you even tap the brakes the car feels like a hormone ladden young man just waiting to make a move on his girl. I couldn't ever get a smooth brake during my test drive, it was always seat-belt tightening passenger lurching stopping. Too dang sensitive. Guess it's because of the 11.7 size...

TJC
09-14-2002, 04:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>The G35's brakes on the other hand are the extreme opposite...if you even tap the brakes the car feels like a hormone ladden young man just waiting to make a move on his girl. I couldn't ever get a smooth brake during my test drive, it was always seat-belt tightening passenger lurching stopping. Too dang sensitive. Guess it's because of the 11.7 size...</div>

I bet once you get used to that, you can never drive another car w/o feeling the brakes on others seem like they don't work, lol.

Auto-9
09-14-2002, 09:47 AM
You betcha https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I drove the minivan to the dealership, I kept waiting until I was at the bumper of the car in front before I started braking. Lotta close calls that day https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

ESdriver00
09-17-2002, 09:18 PM
I didn't even finish reading the rest of the post, but how about steel braided brake lines with pads and rotors, that should make a big difference.

TJC
09-17-2002, 11:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ESdriver00)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't even finish reading the rest of the post, but how about steel braided brake lines with pads and rotors, that should make a big difference.</div>

Right. That's the concensus on a fix, lol. Go aftermarket! :wink:

LatinGalant
09-24-2002, 03:59 PM
I have read every body's post and yes I had a 2000 Honda civic and I had 54,000 on the car at time of trade in and did not have to deal with the brakes even one time and I raced the hell out of that car. Next I also went through the rotor turning game of turning the rotors until one day they said the warranty does not cover it anymore. Point blank the brakes are crappy this is a family sedan I don't race this car and have always gone easy on the brakes since it's new but guess what they don't work it's unsafe and it's a pain that for 21,000 car I should not deal with. I will be going and purchasing aftermarket brakes and if anybody can help me out on where to go I would appreciate it. I am screwed because the car is so new no one has the specs on it and they are different from previous 8g's which I know from the dealer. Agian if anybody can guide me on where to get those drilled brakes I would appreciate it, I don't want to do a conversion or anything of that sort just something that will stop the car and not warp every 1,000 miles.

pinoyesv6
09-27-2002, 08:33 PM
ok..i am confused here...do u have to change the rotor also if your car is shaking when braking?? gee how much would it cost???
should i try tirerack??

you don't have to change the rotor. uhm if the shaking is due to the rotors being warped, u can try getting them turned as a good temporary fixed but in the end, ur gonna have to get new rotors anyways. as for which ones to get, there are a wide variety of them to get. just shop around and ur bound to find hte perfect match

Galant_01
09-28-2002, 09:12 AM
There is a Class Action Lawsuit filed by the law firms Kimmel & Silverman, P.C.; Sheller, Ludwig & Badey P.C.; and Mehri, Malkin and Ross all for defective breaks on 1999-2002 Mitsubishi Galants braking systems. For more info go to http://www.lemonlaw.com/galant.html ('http://www.lemonlaw.com/galant.html')

1999 MITSUBISHI GALANT OWNERS SUFFER CONSISTENT BRAKE DEFECTS; CLASS ACTION SUIT FILED

Papers Served To Mitsubishi Counsel Today

November 1, 2000 (Marlton, NJ)-The law firms of Kimmel & Silverman, P.C.; Sheller, Ludwig & Badey P.C.; and Mehri, Malkin and Ross have filed a class action suit against Mitsubishi Motor Manufacturing of America, Inc. and Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc., alleging brake defects in 1999 Mitsubishi Galant Models. Court papers were served to Mitsubishi's legal counsel today.

According to documents filed in the Superior Court of New Jersey Law Division, Camden County, the 1999 Galant was manufactured with a brake defect, which results in premature wear of the front brake rotors. This defect causes the brakes to grind and requires continuous replacement of the brake pads and rotors.

Jersey City resident Isam Haddadin is the lead plaintiff on behalf of the class. In court papers, Haddadin alleges that his 1999 Galant, originally purchased in September 1999, has been returned to the dealership repeatedly to remedy the braking problem. On each occasion, the dealer finds the brake components to be defective and replaces them under warranty provisions, only to have the problem return within a few thousand miles. Mr. Hadaddin's complaint alleges that the same defects exist in all 1999 Galants, estimating that the problem affects several thousand Galants in New Jersey, and tens of thousands nationally.

Haddadin claims that his car often vibrates, the brakes grind when pushed down, and he has to step on the brake several seconds before preparing to stop. "This car has caused a great deal of aggravation to me and my family and I am hoping that by filing this case, Mitsubishi will finally address our concern," said Haddadin. "I don't want other people to have to go through the same problems we have."

"We have seen the 1999 Galant brake problem with alarming regularity," said co-counsel Craig Thor Kimmel of Kimmel and Silverman, P.C., "The cases share a nearly identical fact pattern of brake rotor repairs being performed every 3,000-5,000 miles. Rotors will normally last 50,000 miles or more. When they reach the point of needing replacement, the ability to stop the car is diminished. "

Owners and lessees of 1999 Mitsubishi Galants models who would like more information on this class action can log onto www.lemonlaw.com or contact Craig Thor Kimmel at 1-800-Lemon-Law (800-536-6652) or via e-mail at [email protected].

Since 1991 Kimmel & Silverman, P.C. (www.lemonlaw.com) has grown to become the nation's largest lemon law firm, handling approximately one in four cases filed across the nation. To date, Kimmel & Silverman has represented more than 12,000 individual consumer claims, exclusive of class actions, in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, making the firm the largest practice of its sort in the United States. Each of the nine attorneys employed at the firm share the partners' drive and determination to achieve the best results for their clients and expand the rights of consumers.

Sheller Ludwig and Badey, P.C. (www.sheller.com) focuses primarily on the representation of individuals and classes in cases regarding defective products, unfair business practices and injuries resulting from medical treatment. The Firm is currently lead counsel in several nationwide class actions.

LatinGalant
09-29-2002, 12:01 PM
I gave up on trying to fight the brakes situation. What I would like to know is if anybody knows who sells brake rotors and pads preferably a fair priced crossed drill rotor for a 2002 mitsu galant w/abs. I can't even get my rotors turned by anybody other than mitsubishi because nobody else has the specs yet. I would appreciate any help with the aftermarket brake issue. Thanks

RedGalant2k1
09-29-2002, 12:38 PM
check out the main page: www.TheGalantCenter.com enough info should be there.

BGR
09-29-2002, 06:19 PM
I've never had problems with my brakes. Never had them turned either. At 43,000 miles I had the pads changed for the 1st time at Brake Masters. They carry a lifetime guarantee on the pads, so the next time I need to get the pads changed, I'll just pay for the labor, $48 for the front and around $60 or $70 for the back.

It was funny though, the manager was telling me that if I went cross drilled or slotted, that those are more prone to cracking and then when I needed to get them resurfaced, I would have to go to a specialty shop. Brake Masters does not deal with cross drilled or slotted rotors. This got me thinking, has anyone else heard of this? It definately persuaded me away from these type of rotors. Yeah, they look really good but if I have to go someone else (that I normally wouldn't go to) for the resurface or they start to crack, then forget it.

I was going to buy these cross drilled/slotted rotors on Ebay (under an Eclipse ad) and they even had a picture of someone else's drilled rotor, close up, with a crack coming out of one of the holes. Supposedly theirs do not crack. I tried searching for their auction under completed but it's been too long now.

BGR
09-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Ok, here's a little negative information I found on cross drilled rotors: http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/part2.html ('http://www.shotimes.com/brakes/part2.html')

** Edit **

I've been reading up on cross drilled rotors and it seems that there are lot of cracked rotors after 12 to 15K miles. I also saw some info that the slotted rotors would be a better alternative BUT both crossdrilled or slotted rotors cause your pads to wear faster. I'm only guessing that these type of rotors were made for the track and not necessarily for daily use.

BTW - get ceramic pads if you don't want the brake squeal.

halfpt4
09-30-2002, 06:57 PM
I'VE had problems with my brakes from day 1 of owing my car.I was told give the brakes 1000 miles 2 break in ad every thing would be fine.SO after a 1000 miles same problem.i had the rotors cut ,resurfed(sp),replaced all in a matter of 2 weeks.they said they came out with new "caliper slides" what ever that is. about 30000 miles later same problem they r full of s__t.

LatinGalant
10-01-2002, 03:22 PM
Well I decided that I am going to go with Brembo Rotors (not slotted or crossdrilled) I am now convinced that they are going to give me problems. And then I am going with Ceramic pads from the tirerack. I forgot where I am order the Rotors from there half off normal price so I will keep everybody updated. I am hoping to get them delivered this weekend and have them installed by two weeks. My car is going to get me killed I am stopping about 6 miles ahead of time vibrating all the way to the light.