PDA

View Full Version : Brakes making weird noise

jeucken
10-11-2003, 08:52 PM
My brakes are making a weird noise since yesterday. Sometimes when I break, it feels like there is some mechanical error in them. It sounds like my whole axle is having problems or something. (Is an example, my axle is fine https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I just can't describe it.
My discs and brake pads are still ok and pretty new.

Rasko Da Gama
10-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Did you ever really changed disc... I had quite familiar problem like you and I had to changed disks - now it is OK.
If you feel vibrations in your foot when you are braking - than definetely disks should be changed.
If not... Sorry https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif Can't help you.

Good luck :arrow:

jeucken
10-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Discs have both been changed, and I don't feel it in my foot, but I hear it in the rear....

ken inn
10-12-2003, 10:58 AM
depending on which brand of brake pads you used, and if you reused the factory shims, they may have a wear indicator on them. this is merely a metal tab that is bent over, and it will rub on the brake disc when the pad is worn down, and sound like metal on metal. even tho your pads may be new, it could have abnormal wear on one caliper. i have also had like a small rock get jammed in between the brake disc and the dust shield, and under certain conditions, it would make a racket, too.

jeucken
10-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Ok, thanks I will check that.
But the weird thing is, that I only hear it sometimes, most of the times everything is smooth and silent.

92mpi
11-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Hey, hey, hey.

Looks like we have the same problem, only mine sounds when I'm backing up. If you have a non-vented disc brake at the rear, it means it's warping. the only remedy for this is to change it to a vented disc. because even if you reface the disc, the sound will go back again after a short while.

ken inn
11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(92mpi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey, hey, hey.

Looks like we have the same problem, only mine sounds when I'm backing up. Â*If you have a non-vented disc brake at the rear, it means it's warping. Â*the only remedy for this is to change it to a vented disc. Â*because even if you reface the disc, the sound will go back again after a short while.</div>

ummmm...neva hoppen, G.I. vented discs are thicker, you also need wider calipers. then wheel clearance becomes a problem.

marktheblake
11-10-2003, 07:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>My brakes are making a .....</div>

You sure its not the sound of air rushing through that big piece of missing car in front of the engine.

Or have you got it put back together already, if so that was quick!

jeucken
11-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Check the date of the first post.
It is way before my accident. ;-)

marktheblake
11-10-2003, 07:27 AM
dont you just hate it when that happens :?
look at my avatar, should explain everything.

mhessick
11-16-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm having a brake problem i think as well....

when I brake most of the time, I get a clicking noise . .*klik *klik* klik*

and then when I am at highway speeds, and i press moderate to hard on them I hear this heavy thumping and the car shimmies a little

not sure what it is I had the rotors and pads replaced in July, and the drums on the rear rotated.

ideas? (it's not the rotors, it's not metallic grinding)