PDA

View Full Version : how are everyones kamakazi headers holding up?

4G64T
09-12-2002, 02:56 PM
im about to get mine and i just wanted to ask how tuff was the installation if it was a possible DIY. and for those of you who took it in to do it how much did it cost for labor.

cdaw2001ES
09-12-2002, 04:55 PM
I did it myself, everything went smooth. Perfect fit for my car.
Depending on the spec of your car - it will either be simple like mine, or impossible.
The gasket that came with thm is not correct , so you should get a gasket set from your local dealer.

4G64T
09-12-2002, 05:17 PM
if its not to much trouble could you tell me what i took to do it and i would just need the exhaust manifold gasket right and i have a 2001 es 4cyl

cdaw2001ES
09-12-2002, 06:10 PM
You just need a 12MM, 14MM and 19MM sockets, a combo 12/14 box end wrench, and possibly a hammer and a universal joint extension. ands a 6" extension, and a 22MM wrench or 02 sensor socket

It's moderatley easy DIY.

Start by taking off the heat sheild on the manifold, and also the one on the cat - will help you see the lower bolts better - but not necessary.

You need to use a box-end to get the top bolt for the little heat shield on the upper left. This will give you a tiny bit of room to get at the lower left 14MM nut. As soon as you get the lower one slightly loose, you can move that little heat shield over a liltle bit, and get larger turns at the nut.

One of the mid bottom bolts needs the universal to position the socket on it.

When you put on the new headers, make sure it's lined up properly, and tap it lightly with a hammer and wood block to get it started - if needed.
I had to tap mine once, then it slid on no prob.

There are two gaskests. The Manifold gasket, and the downpipe gasket.
The maifold gasket goes between the headers and the head, the downpipe gasket "doughnut" goes betwwen the botom of the headers, and the flexpipe/downpipe assmbly. You can probably safley reuse your old gaskets if you want too. (as long as they some off clean). But if you hear leak, get new ones.

TJC
09-12-2002, 06:19 PM
I don't know if you got those lame thin bolts and washers but if you did, I suggest you go to Home Depot and pick up some thick bolts and nuts that fits the holes perfectly. And also pick up some high-temp thread lock by Permatex or Loc-Tite for the nuts and bolts to make sure they don't come loose. Just my 2 cents.

cdaw2001ES
09-12-2002, 07:50 PM
good point, Stainles steel is what I picked up. I actuallky didn't find my bag o bolts in the box till well after installation was complete. just take one of the nuts with you, and get the same size bolt/nut/loc washer combo

4G64T
09-12-2002, 11:56 PM
thanks for all the help guys im gonna take a look at it tomarrow then probably do it on saturday