PDA

View Full Version : clear corners help

mitsuondubz
08-15-2002, 11:44 AM
hey i was just wondering how do you go about removing the grill and the headlight assemblies to get them out so then you can take the orange piece out? i understand how to do it just wasnt sure on how to get the headlight out,, any help would be appreciated it, and yes i already tried to look on the tutorial but the link isnt working,, thanks

pinoyesv6
08-15-2002, 11:51 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MnGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just pry on them like hell and they will move out of place. If you need help let me know</div>

prying it is the hard way and your more likely to cause damage, slide it out...its much easier
watch this ('http://129.2.4.218/TGC%20Files/clearing%20corners.mov')

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitsuondubz)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey i was just wondering how do you go about removing the grill and the headlight assemblies to get them out so then you can take the orange piece out? i understand how to do it just wasnt sure on how to get the headlight out,, any help would be appreciated it, and yes i already tried to look on the tutorial but the link isnt working,, thanks</div>

my tutorials work...comes with pictures too
click click ('http://129.2.4.218/TGC%20Files/TGCTutorials/8gclearingcorners/Clearing%20Corners.htm')
click click ('http://129.2.4.218/TGC%20Files/TGCTutorials/8gclearingcorners/ClearingCorners.htm')

SimoP
08-18-2002, 09:05 AM
It's so much easier for us in europe(at least in Finland where I live).. I just walk into a Mitsu-dealer and tell them I want Smoked corners for my 1997 Galant(Is it possible for it to be 8th gen? At least it looks the same than 1999-) and they will order them. Do you guys have the corners and headlights as a one part? We have them separated, and new corners cost about 200$. Including bulbs and clear side-lights.

Fishboy55
08-18-2002, 10:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SimoP)</div><div class='quotemain'>It's so much easier for us in europe(at least in Finland where I live).. I just Â*walk into a Mitsu-dealer and tell them I want Smoked corners for my 1997 Galant(Is it possible for it to be 8th gen? At least it looks the same than 1999-) and they will order them. Do you guys have the corners and headlights as a one part? We have them separated, and new corners cost about 200$. Including bulbs and clear side-lights.</div>On the US spec 8 gen Galants, the headlights and the corners are all one unit. So we have no options to order different lenses. Also, the headlights are sealed, so short of opening them up, breaking out the amber lens is the only option we have to clear our corners.

Chip

SlickVernon
08-18-2002, 01:27 PM
hey sheefo, i live like 5 minutes from you and i am willing to help you since i did mine like a week ago. its not too bad. just pm me. see ya

Supernova
08-18-2002, 01:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChromeGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Like NIKE Â*----->>Just do it..

I did my new headlights last night, this time it took about 30mins..

My new way is to break the reflector up before breaking it to bits with the pliers... I get it stuck between the headlight part and the corner then stick a finger in the hole and snap it into pieces... THEN I use the pliers..much faster.. and YES the 2002 has mini tabs.. but.. pry like hell and it will come loose..</div>

Is it illegal to not have amber turning lights on your car in Alabama(or anywere)? I was wondering cause my dad said somthing about it because i wanna clear my corners.

SimoP
08-19-2002, 01:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>On the US spec 8 gen Galants, the headlights and the corners are all one unit. So we have no options to order different lenses. Also, the headlights are sealed, so short of opening them up, breaking out the amber lens is the only option we have to clear our corners.

Chip</div>Thanx for that information, I've been wondering what's all this all about, that there is no easier way than this cutting, but this really clears everything out for me.

mitsuondubz
08-19-2002, 01:50 AM
i cleared mine last night and it was rather simple once i found the right tool to use to break away the reflector piece, i tried first using a regular flat head but it didnt work well and i didnt want to scratch up my shit so i looked through the tool box and had a brand new set of craftsmen screw dirvers and in the set was one of those 90 degree little screw drivers, flat head one end and phillips on the other, in kind of a *Z* shape, worked perfectly to get under the reflector through the socket hole and just pull till it breaks, all came out in like 45 seconds,, looks 100 times better along with the clear bulbs from walmart until i get my hyperwhite,, loooks real good, anyone in Md needs help, pm me, very simple...

mitsuondubz
08-19-2002, 01:51 AM
i cleared mine last night and it was rather simple once i found the right tool to use to break away the reflector piece, i tried first using a regular flat head but it didnt work well and i didnt want to scratch up my shit so i looked through the tool box and had a brand new set of craftsmen screw dirvers and in the set was one of those 90 degree little screw drivers, flat head one end and phillips on the other, in kind of a *Z* shape, worked perfectly to get under the reflector through the socket hole and just pull till it breaks, all came out in like 45 seconds,, looks 100 times better along with the clear bulbs from walmart until i get my hyperwhite,, loooks real good, anyone in Md needs help, pm me, very simple...

SimoP
08-21-2002, 05:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is it illegal to not have amber turning lights on your car in Alabama(or anywere)? Â*I was wondering cause my dad said somthing about it because i wanna clear my corners.</div>At least in finland it is illegal, but not if you have amber bulb inside the corners. I believe that's how it goes for you too.

Supernova
08-21-2002, 04:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SimoP)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is it illegal to not have amber turning lights on your car in Alabama(or anywere)? Â*I was wondering cause my dad said somthing about it because i wanna clear my corners.</div>At least in finland it is illegal, but not if you have amber bulb inside the corners. I believe that's how it goes for you too.</div>

Sweetness! Does anybody else have their corners cleared and amber bulbs in them?

Strahan
08-21-2002, 05:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SimoP)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is it illegal to not have amber turning lights on your car in Alabama(or anywere)? Â*I was wondering cause my dad said somthing about it because i wanna clear my corners.</div>At least in finland it is illegal, but not if you have amber bulb inside the corners. I believe that's how it goes for you too.</div>

Sweetness! Does anybody else have their corners cleared and amber bulbs in them?</div>

Yup I do. The bulbs are amber to begin with, so once I cleared the lenses I didn't have to do anything else:

http://www.galants.com/pics/orange.jpg

I didn't like the visible orange color so I ordered amber LED replacements and installed them:

http://www.galants.com/pics/ledclose.jpg

Looked nice, but they were not very bright and blinked too fast so I took em back out and put the amber incandescents back in.

Supernova
08-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Cool, I need to clear my corners befor I go to NOPI. :wink:

Fishboy55
08-21-2002, 05:49 PM
I got Titanium bulbs because I didn't like the look of the amber bulbs. These look chrome, but light up amber. They're about 6 bucks at Pep Boys.

Chip

dageezer
08-22-2002, 09:40 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mitsuondubz)</div><div class='quotemain'>i cleared mine last night and it was rather simple once i found the right tool to use to break away the reflector piece, i tried first using a regular flat head but it didnt work well and i didnt want to scratch up my shit so i looked through the tool box and had a brand new set of craftsmen screw dirvers and in the set was one of those 90 degree little screw drivers, flat head one end and phillips on the other, in kind of a *Z* shape, worked perfectly to get under the reflector through the socket hole and just pull till it breaks, all came out in like 45 seconds,, looks 100 times better along with the clear bulbs from walmart until i get my hyperwhite,, loooks real good, anyone in Md needs help, pm me, very simple...</div>

I was trying to clear my corners last night, I had bought a new craftsman screwdriver set a couple of weeks ago and I remeber getting those funky Z screwdrivers, but I now can't find the damn things!!! :dumbass: Tore apart my garage looking for them...anyway, I gave up and took a socket holder/organizer and bent one end and yanked the reflector off pretty easily, it was a bitch getting the reflector cut up and out. :x

What did you guys use to get the reflector out? :puzzled1:
I have to do the other side now. I was using wire cutters/tin snips.

Dominicano
08-22-2002, 11:18 AM
you guys would not belive what i used to get my deflector out, i used the piece that is everyone has in their car to change the tire, it has a nice curve and allowed me to grip it good. then i used tin snips to break the rest then stuck a vaccume hose and that was that.