PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Wheel Well

jbragg11
10-14-2003, 01:24 PM
I just put some 18's on my galant and I just noticed that the back wheels are perfect to the wheelbase... BUT the front ones are horrible... there is a big gap! The wheelbase has a different size then the back ones!

the wheel wells are cut different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did Mitsubishi make it like this?

Is there any way to make it look better without getting it lowered?

Reelax
10-14-2003, 01:48 PM
wheelbase? what does the cut shape of the wheel well arches have to do with the wheelbase?

and is there any way to fix this w/out lowering the car? umm you can have a body shop reshape your front wheel wells.

jbragg11
10-14-2003, 01:50 PM
b/c the wheel well is cut bigger in the front and it makes the front look different then the back... there is a gap in the front ones and no gap in the back ones

Reelax
10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
the wheelbase is the distance from the front wheels to the rear wheels where the tires contact the ground.

lowering the front would lessen the wheel well gap so as to appear similar to the rear. the reason the frontwheel well is larger is because the front wheels steer the rear are always straight. like i said you can have a body shop add material the wheel arch to make it look similar to the rear. if you have 18's you basically HAVE to lower the car for it not to look like a monster truck.

jbragg11
10-14-2003, 03:58 PM
well, whats the best way to lower it?
Someone said just get the eibach springs...
I really do not want to have to replace the struts and stuff like that on my car now!

Would I have to replace it... IS THERE ANY WAY TO LOWER THE CAR ABOUT 1.5'' WITHOUT HAVING TO REPLACE THE STRUTS AND OTHERS STUFF?

Thanks

dza
10-14-2003, 04:06 PM
you're decreasing the size of the spring. you're going to be beating up your stuck shocks. you CAN just lower it with eibach springs but no one can promise a good ride for long. You'll blow a shock before you know it.

jbragg11
10-14-2003, 04:20 PM
well... I guess I am stuck with what I have right now b/c I dont have money to get struts shocks and springs or coilovers...

the only thing I could get would be coilovers or springs, but not the struts and shocks....

Maybe later!

dza
10-15-2003, 09:19 AM
the price of coilovers would be just about as much as shocks and eibach springs. you're looking at about 500 bucks for shocks and springs if you shop around.

yofadahead
10-16-2003, 07:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbragg11)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just put some 18's on my galant and I just noticed that the back wheels are perfect to the wheelbase... BUT the front ones are horrible... there is a big gap! The wheelbase has a different size then the back ones!

the wheel wells are cut different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did Mitsubishi make it like this?

Is there any way to make it look better without getting it lowered?</div>

you could put bigger rims on the front...

dza
10-17-2003, 09:12 AM
It would take huge wheels and a large tire profile to decrease the gap. Then you'd have large wheels in the front and smaller wheels by at least 3" in the rear.

10-17-2003, 11:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dza)</div><div class='quotemain'>you're decreasing the size of the spring. you're going to be beating up your stuck shocks. you CAN just lower it with eibach springs but no one can promise a good ride for long. You'll blow a shock before you know it.</div>
this is true, my friend. Sorry...but if you're going to lower your car 1.5", you will probably need to invest in a set of shocks, and maybe a camber correction kit (i don't know what the threshold for lowering galants is). As for springs, get eibach LOWERING springs, do not buy coilovers. Your ride is going to be even worse with coilovers and no shocks than with lowering springs and no shocks.

prizm077
12-02-2003, 03:37 PM
well i have a 2000 galant es with 18's on it and i hated that ugly gap too... so i did some research. and i ended up putting eibach adjustable springs on it and adjustable coilovers in it so i can adjust them with the rims and the stock for the winter..i ended dumping about $950.00 into the system but it was definately worth it and the ride isn't bad at all considering you can adjust the shocks to make them hard or soft.

BlueESV6
12-02-2003, 08:26 PM
I wonder if a body shop can add a fender piece on the gap similar to those crome accents over the fender wells but add about 2.5 inches to decrease the look of the gap! It could be painted to match the car's color.

I've been thinking about seeing if this can be done at a local shop. Seems like this may be a good compromise to the gap and save the shocks/suspension!

pinoyesv6
12-02-2003, 08:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder if a body shop can add a fender piece on the gap similar to those crome accents over the fender wells but add about 2.5 inches to decrease the look of the gap! It could be painted to match the car's color.

I've been thinking about seeing if this can be done at a local shop. Seems like this may be a good compromise to the gap and save the shocks/suspension!</div>

i bet that can be done. them caddy's have then in a way. it would just be more round.

but then you have to think about the costs too. the cost of fabricating the piece. then molding it onto the car and then finally painting vs the price of maybe like a tein or JIC suspension.

Auto-9
12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
The reason why the fronts are cut bigger than the rears is because the front wheels are used for steering. If they weren't bigger to compensate you'd be slamming your wheels into your fenders everytime you hit a bump on a turn.