PDA

View Full Version : 60K service

luxcrusr2000
10-15-2003, 07:07 PM
I called my dealer today and got a quote of just under $800 for my 60K service. :shock: Since I'm at 58,500 miles and will have nowhere near that amount of money when I hit 60K, I'm thinking of having the large items (belts, water pump, etc) done professionally, but how hard is it to do the basic stuff? I'm looking at several items that I've done myself, like spark plugs, wires, filters, cap and rotor, coolant, etc, that I've changed on my old Galants, and I'm wondering if it's really hard to change them, along with the tranny fluid and filter on this car? I have the 2.4 I4 on my 2000 ES.

pinoyesv6
10-15-2003, 08:02 PM
another option is to let an outside shop do some of the work. they will be cheaper than the dealer. but yea some of the things you can do yourself. like chanigng the fluids, spark plugs, wires etc. just make sure that you have the proper parts, the proper tools and you know what your getting yourself into before you start hacking away at the car.

Fishboy55
10-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Just find a local reputable shop and have it all done there. Look for ASE certified mechanics and get references from other people that have used the shop or from other shop owners. Palm Harbor/St. Pete is a pretty closed community. Ask around. People in the know will know where the good shops are. Then go toalk to the mechanic. Feel him out and be sure he is trustworthy. remember, being able to use the buzz words or talk like you know what you're doing is useless if you never changed a timing belt on a Mitsu.

I avoid the dealer at all costs. They're overpriced, I question the experience of their mechanics and I definately am not getting anything from the dealer I can't get from my local mechanic. There's no truth that you need to go to the dealer to keep your warranty current either. As long as you keep records of the work performed, you'll be fine.

luxcrusr2000
10-16-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm going to do just the small stuff, like fluid changes and spark plugs myself and leave the large items to the mechanic. I'd rather do the small stuff myself and use the money for better parts. Chip, I'm going to take your advice and not have my car serviced at the Mitsu dealer down here, especially after that last price quote. I had a good mechanic in Orlando but now I need to find one down here. I'm sure a good mechanic won't be too hard to find here in Palm Harbor, it's not like it's a big city. :laughing: I won't have to worry about my warranty, either, after 60K I won't have one anyway.

luxcrusr2000
10-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Well, so far I've had the lube, oil and filter done, all 4 tires balanced and rotated, new wiper blades installed and I've also installed a new air filter, PCV valve and 4 spark plugs. Now just to knock out the coolant and tranny flush, and then get the timing belts done. So far I've spent a whopping $62, and after the tranny fluid, gasket, filter, coolant, and spark plug wires the whole 60K service will probably cost me about $125-140, well cheaper than the $375 the dealer wanted. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

luxcrusr2000
01-16-2004, 10:10 PM
I know I'm a little late on this post but I finally got the car in for the timing belt and the remainder of the 60K service tonight (3 months and 3200 miles late). I've already done the plugs, filter, PCV valve, coolant flush, etc, but it still needed to have the tranny fluid and the timing belt changed. A co-worker of my Dad's hooked me up with an ASE certified mechanic that runs a shop out of his house, and for around $200-250 (including parts--I bought those this morning :wink: ), I'm getting the timing belt replaced, the tranny fluid changed, along with the gasket and filter, oil changed, drive belts changed, and the front brakes done. The rotors needed to be turned and I'm having new pads put on. :rockon: I can't believe I was about to save up to pay Lokey Mitsubishi $450 to do the timing belt. :oops: Mitsu - $450, second shop - $280-300, ok, current shop- $150...sweet! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Coolant, fuel system cleaner, air filter, oil change, wiper blades and PCV valve (10/03)-$62

Transmission filter and gasket, timing belt and drive belts, brake pads and lubricant (1/16/03) - $75

Labor for everything - around $150-175.

Taking Chip and Pinoy's advice and being able to laugh my ass off at the dealership -- priceless!

Thanks for the advice!

Galant_01
01-18-2004, 08:24 PM
You are lucky you do not have the V6! They want $1200 for the basic 60K service and $1600 for the 60K plus the Timing Belt! I did most of the things myself but did not want to tackle the whole intake plentum and spark plug changeout! Mitsu wanted $375 just to do that! I am getting it done at a chain shop (Pep Boys) for $149! Also on the V6 technically the time belt does not need changed until 100K!

sd2775906
01-18-2004, 11:11 PM
I had my 60k service done by my local mechanic. I have a V6 and he did it for $330...I had all my belts, spark plugs, tranny fluid, and oil changed. I still have my water pump to do, but I'll let the dealer do that under my extended warranty.

ragingduck
01-19-2004, 05:33 AM
My mechanic was going to do it for about $300. I also had the V6.

luxcrusr2000
01-19-2004, 06:55 AM
Got the car back yesterday, and with the timing belts, oil change, the front brakes and a small coolant leak that I had fixed, the total labor was $160. I didn't realize the I4 had two timing belts and I had only bought one, so the mechanic bought the other one from NAPA for $45, bringing the total to $205. Not bad for all that work, though. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

crazyc004
01-23-2004, 10:35 AM
I just got quotes on getting my 60k service done, and this is basically what I found. Of the 2 Mitsu dealerships I called in the WPB area (WP Mitsubishi and Schumacher), the basic 60k mile service package was like this:

Oil and Filter Change, Transmission Fluid Flush, Coolant System Flush, Platinum Plugs (on the V6) and Wires, Water Pump, Battery and Charging system check, Tire rotation, and Fuel injection cleaning. Now one dealer (Schumacher) also had a brake fluid flush included in their 60k mile service but wanted approx $783.00 as opposed to a little over $500.00 at the other.

Now, another thing that is needed, but according to them is not part of the standard 60k service, is the Timing Belt. Now, both places charge about $500 extra for just the timing belt, but recommend that you replace the drive belts and the oil seals while you are there, and they bpth have a package setup for that as well, which one dealer (Schumacher) wants $800 for, and the other wants $600 for.

So, in essence, the prices I have gotten are $1100+ at one dealership, and $1600+ at the other, and from a comparison of the services from the two, the only difference is the brake service. Now the choice of the 2 is obvious, but still...... DAMN!!!!

BlueESV6
01-28-2004, 01:05 PM
No matter you feel pretty violated after paying the 60K service sum from the dealer. Mine was around $1200 and included tranni flush (12 quarts), oil/filter change, plugs, all belts including timing, tensioner, crankcase seals, water pump and radiator coolant flush ... oh and turning my cross drilled rotors also... was supposed to include a balancing of my tires which they did not do but they did rotate them....

I still think the cost is equivalent of putting a gun to your head and taking your wallet! :evil:

The only up side was mistu dealers guarantee the work for 12 months 12,000 miles which is something a local mechanic may not do especially if the timing belt jumps!