PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge broke. Any aftermarket replacement or easy fix?

IHateMyGalant
10-16-2003, 02:00 AM
The temp gauge in my '96 started sticking in the cold position and for awhile, I could tap the dash and it would free itself and start working. But now it has quit for good. Can it be fixed easily, or is there an aftermarket gauge that will fit in a pillar pod or something? Knowing the temp is kind of important and I don't want something that looks trashy! And I did verify that it is still connected to the sensor under the hood. Thanks in advance

pinoyesv6
10-16-2003, 06:40 AM
option1. get a new cluster. that would be really hard to do legally though. getting the cluster is the easy part but doing all the paperwork for the odometer is different. and yea u have to do it or you could get charged for odometer fraud if u tried to sell the car and got caught.

option2. find sum1 that can fix it. chances are, it can be fixed. but the parts and mechanism on the cluster are very small and delicate.

option3. an aftermarket gauge pod. the temperature gauge on ur car is just a shitty water temperature gauge. getting and aftermarket gauge will give you a much more accurate reading than ur oem one. prices on those can vary from like 15 dollars for some sunpro gauges to over a couple hundred dollars for some fancy ass ones from like japan or something.

bronxbombr
10-16-2003, 04:38 PM
i got a spare guage cluster for sale if needed. :wink:

Ositoyb
10-16-2003, 04:57 PM
how many miles on the gauge cluster?

bronxbombr
10-16-2003, 05:07 PM
if i remember correctly its like 113 or something like that. I would really have to double check it and see.

Ositoyb
10-16-2003, 07:16 PM
i doubt anyone has one, but im looking for one that has around 45,000-50,000 miles on it. i just swapped engines, and got my tranny rebuilt, so i have all the paper work(incase i need it), so i would like to have one with around 50,000 miles on it. Thanks anyway.

JiP
10-19-2003, 01:55 PM
Simple to replace the stock guage, if you get a cluster from a junkyard, even a 2g temp gage would work and they are EASY to find. But If you really wanted an aftermarket one, I suggest getting an electric one that comes with sensor to install, and not mechanical. Theres no spot to fit the sensor of a mechanical guage, and the length of "wire" from guage to sensor isnt too long and its anoying.