PDA

View Full Version : What are the rear brakes for?

Auto-9
10-16-2003, 09:26 PM
I honest to God can't figure this out. After several high speed stops, then city stop and go traffic, I am able to put my finger on my rear rotors and calipers without pain. In fact, it feels no warmer than my front wheels when my car is fully warmed up in the morning.

RedGalant2k1
10-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Peter, thats because there is a thing called brake bias.

Brake Bias is focused towards the vehicles front braking system hence why front rotors are bigger and more powerful.

Your front rotors are two pistons calipers and your rear calipers are single pistons.

Brake Bias is 'i believe' 70% towards the front.

TWISTED II
10-16-2003, 09:59 PM
yeah, its either 70/30 or 60/40. i can't remember....but its just so the slowing down of your car isn't fully on the front.

10-17-2003, 01:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, its either 70/30 or 60/40. Â*i can't remember....but its just so the slowing down of your car isn't fully on the front.</div>
It's because as you stop, more weight is transfered to the front wheels, putting more weight over the top of them, and increasing their traction. The rear brakes, if it were a 50/50 split between f/r, would lock up under even slightly quicker stops, because they actually have LESS traction than under normal weight distribution. This works on the same theory that makes a RWD car better to launch in a race, because more weight, and therefore, more traction, is being transfered to the rear wheels, the drive wheels, under launch.

TWISTED II
10-17-2003, 02:10 AM
thanx for explaining that to me....but i wasn't askin, lol

10-17-2003, 02:25 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ThaTwistedGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanx for explaining that to me....but i wasn't askin, lol</div>
And I wasn't explaining it specifically to you. It was a post for general knowledge. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

peanotation
10-17-2003, 02:42 AM
yeah, and there's also a shitload more weight in the front. this is one of the reasons why i never did my rear drum to disc conversion, because i wanted more than just looks, but it wasn't gonna be anything that noticeable in the stopping power. Plus, if my breaks got any better, I'd lock up all the time, rather than just some of the time. Tires can't keep up with the brakes.

10-17-2003, 02:50 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, and there's also a shitload more weight in the front. this is one of the reasons why i never did my rear drum to disc conversion, because i wanted more than just looks, but it wasn't gonna be anything that noticeable in the stopping power. Plus, if my breaks got any better, I'd lock up all the time, rather than just some of the time. Tires can't keep up with the brakes.</div>
exactly. Good post man.

Never, ever, ever upgrade your rear brakes without doing your fronts first.

Auto-9
10-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Yes yes I know all about brake bias...so once again, what the heck are the rear brakes for then (on the Galant)? :wink: I say "on the Galant" because our 98 Sienna's rear brakes get blazing hot...I've burned myself on the rear wheel before after a 5 minute drive to pump air.

Fishboy55
10-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Because if you didn't have rear brakes you'd stand the car on its nose. The weight distribution in the Sienna is completely different than your Galant. That V6 is heavy which is why our brakes are 70/30. The Sienna is probably 50/50.

Auto-9
10-17-2003, 05:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Because if you didn't have rear brakes you'd stand the car on its nose. The weight distribution in the Sienna is completely different than your Galant. That V6 is heavy which is why our brakes are 70/30. The Sienna is probably 50/50.</div>

Ah there's my answer https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Did you just guess on the Sienna or have you already seen the numbers? Cause you're almost dead on https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif The Galant I knew has 62/38 weight distribution and 70/30 brakes; the Sienna I found out from my dealership just now has 58/42 (I guess due to the extra rear weight) and 55/45 brakes. Your psychic abilities astound me :laughing:

Fishboy55
10-18-2003, 05:56 AM
It's not psychic ability Peter. I'm just blessed enough to have gained a good bit of practical experience. The Lord works in mysterious ways.