PDA

View Full Version : 36K Service

Hanks-Galant
10-17-2003, 11:55 AM
How critical is getting this service done? The dealer said it would cost around $500 to get this service, but I am not sure it is necessary. I do however want to get the tranny checked/serviced elsewhere to prevent a potential breakdown. Oh get this........the dealer said that if I don't get the 36K service, my 5/60,000 warranty will not apply!!! Is this for real?

10-17-2003, 12:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hanks-Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>How critical is getting this service done? Â*The dealer said it would cost around $500 to get this service, but I am not sure it is necessary. Â*I do however want to get the tranny checked/serviced elsewhere to prevent a potential breakdown. Â*Oh get this........the dealer said that if I don't get the 36K service, my 5/60,000 warranty will not apply!!! Â*Is this for real?</div>
what does the 36k service entail? If it's basic stuff just do it yourself, if it's like on my Integra, they are actually charging you around $450 for labor, which is stupid. Go buy a hanes/helms/whatever manual, they will have a list of all the service intervals and what you need to do, then just do it yourself by following the manual. You can save a lot of money by not paying $60 or more an hour to get work done!!

It will probably include flushing the coolant: $9 at autozone for two coolant flush-worth fluid
Replacing drive belts: $25, less if they don't need to be replaced, check for cracks, in the manual they will show you what to look for
Oil change: If you don't know how to change your oil, i retract my previous statement, take it to the dealer. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
Checking for exhaust leaks: Just get on the ground and check.
Spark plug gap check: Easy, just pull your plugs and check them with a gap gauge, or buy new ones for like $15

There's a lot more, but it's all very easy stuff, and the dealer tries to charge you $60 to pull your plugs or look at a drivebelt, then overcharge you on parts. Autozone is your friend, they are cheaper than the dealer. Just don't go there for performance parts. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Gilhuly
10-17-2003, 03:15 PM
You will need to go to a real shop if you want to keep your warrantee in tact. Find somebody old school who will look at all the stuff that needs looking at (which is most of it) and have them change the serp belt, the plugs(if you have an I4) and wires, flush the radiator, look at your front brakes, change your tranny fluid (do it). If you're not using fully synthetic oil yet, start. This will still cost a couple hundred bucks and it's money well spent at this juncture.

10-18-2003, 01:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gilhuly)</div><div class='quotemain'>You will need to go to a real shop if you want to keep your warrantee in tact. Â*Find somebody old school who will look at all the stuff that needs looking at (which is most of it) and have them change the serp belt, the plugs(if you have an I4) and wires, flush the radiator, look at your front brakes, change your tranny fluid (do it). Â*If you're not using fully synthetic oil yet, start. Â*This will still cost a couple hundred bucks and it's money well spent at this juncture.</div>
i would reccomend against using synthetic, simply because it's more expensive and your car really doesn't need it. Most of those oils use long-chain polymers to change the viscosity of the oil, even up to a 50 "viscosity rating." (i forget what its called, lol). Over time, actually around 2000 miles, these polymers can begin to break down, then clump together, which will scratch the polished surfaces in your engine. Stick with dinosaur goo.

Galant_01
10-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic is what most of us with V6's use. It WILL NOT break down. So if you are hard on your car it is definitely worth the extra money.

pinoyesv6
10-19-2003, 11:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hanks-Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh get this........the dealer said that if I don't get the 36K service, my 5/60,000 warranty will not apply!!! Â*Is this for real?</div>

kinda sorta. its like with a pet or a plant. if you don't water it or don't feed it, will it live? so yea if something bad happens to your car, like the tranny blows or something and they see that you haven't been taking care of your car, why should they be liable for the abuse you made to you car. but yea if u don't do it its not gonna automatically void it though.

Gilhuly
10-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I was skeptical about synthetic originally, but after doing extensive research I am convinced that using synthetic at a normal interval 3-4000 miles, that this is the single best thing you can do for your engine's lifespan, mostly for thermal breakdown issues. By the way, I just verified that the sixth digit on my odometer works the other day - 100K and purring like a kitten!