PDA

View Full Version : Changing wheels problem

jeucken
10-18-2003, 04:41 PM
Ok, this maybe a very stupid question, but.......
I bought some tires and rims yesterday from a guy I found through a dutch website (was able to get 4 momo rims (205 and 16 inch) and tires (2 pair good, 2 pair almost worn) for about 150 dollars, so I couldn't let this cheap offer go. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Anyway, I first cleaned the rims since that goes much easier when they are not on the car. After that I put the car on the jack and loosened the screws of the left-rear wheel. But I wasn't able to get it of. :oops:
Is there a fifth screw or some special way to get it of?

I got irritated when I couldn't get it of, so I tried the front left wheel. It went of easily. So I put the new wheel on but I noticed that the screws of the old wheels don't fit throught the holes on the new ones. But I guess I can buy different ones at almost any carparts store?

Picture of my new rims:
http://62.251.14.27/images/velg.jpg

Rasko Da Gama
10-18-2003, 07:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>...(was able to get 4 momo rims (205 and 16 inch)Anyway, I first cleaned the rims since that goes much easier when they are not on the car. After that I put the car on the jack and loosened the screws of the left-rear wheel. But I wasn't able to get it of. Â*:oops: Â*
Is there a fifth screw or some special way to get it of?
</div>

No buddy, there's not a fifth screw. You should probably just take it off "the hard way" - It could be thightened up too much if you didn't get rims off since you purchased your car. Just move the rim left and right, up and down, and it should went off just fine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>So I put the new wheel on but I noticed that the screws of the old wheels don't fit throught the holes on the new ones. But I guess I can buy different ones at almost any carparts store?
</div>

Diferent cars have diferent distance between holes on the wheels. You don't have to watch just that it has 4 and not 5 holes, but also the distance betwen those holes.
6G Galants (like yours) have 4x114,3mm hole distance, and you rims wich don't have the same distance will sertanly not fit. Most cars have 4x100mm (Honda, VW, Seat, Renault... but not all the models). You probably got that size since it is the most standard size.

And something else - Galant's have standard 195/60/15 tires on 15" 4x114,3mm rims . If you wan't to get 16", get:
- either 7"x16" rims with 4x114,3mm holes amd 205/55/16 or 205/50/16 tires (like I have)
- either 7,5"x16" on the same tires, but beware. The "Offset" should be +40 I think... I didn't watch out and now my rims are sticking out of the car a little - They are yctually too wide. I have "Exlusive Line" model B 7,5"x16" on Falken Ziex ZE512 205/50/16 - Damn gooooooooood tires :wink:

I hope that this info helped you buddy and good luck with your rims. Ofcours - keep us posted about your solution.

Good luck :wink: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

jeucken
10-18-2003, 07:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>No buddy, there's not a fifth screw. You should probably just take it off "the hard way" - It could be thightened up too much if you didn't get rims off since you purchased your car. Just move the rim left and right, up and down, and it should went off just fine.</div>Well I tried it pretty hard and it wouldn't come of. And they have been of the car about 3 months ago. (But by the garage, not by me)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>Diferent cars have diferent distance between holes on the wheels. You don't have to watch just that it has 4 and not 5 holes, but also the distance betwen those holes.
6G Galants (like yours) have 4x114,3mm hole distance, and you rims wich don't have the same distance will sertanly not fit. Most cars have 4x100mm (Honda, VW, Seat, Renault... but not all the models). You probably got that size since it is the most standard size.

And something else - Galant's have standard 195/60/15 tires on 15" 4x114,3mm rims . If you wan't to get 16", get:
- either 7"x16" rims with 4x114,3mm holes amd 205/55/16 or 205/50/16 tires (like I have)
- either 7,5"x16" on the same tires, but beware. The "Offset" should be +40 I think... I didn't watch out and now my rims are sticking out of the car a little - They are yctually too wide. I have "Exlusive Line" model B 7,5"x16" on Falken Ziex ZE512 205/50/16 - Damn gooooooooood tires Â*:wink: Â*

I hope that this info helped you buddy and good luck with your rims. Ofcours - keep us posted about your solution.</div>Thanks for the info. But I forgot to add that the guy who I bought these from had 'em on a Galant too. (Same model, just 1.8 liter instead of my 2.0 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) So I don't think I have to worry about tire sizes and all that.

But can I buy screws at a carshop or are they so special that I have to order them from the same manufacturer as the rims?

josh_877
10-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Rasko is right u have to just take them off the hard way....
cause i guess they like get stuck or something, it happend to me too.

jeucken
10-18-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't jack up the car too often, so I'm a bit afraid that when I use too much force the car might drop of the jack. :oops: :oops:

jeucken
10-19-2003, 12:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>So I put the new wheel on but I noticed that the screws of the old wheels don't fit throught the holes on the new ones. But I guess I can buy different ones at almost any carparts store?
</div>Anyone? Can I buy them at a normal carparts store?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'>And something else - Galant's have standard 195/60/15 tires on 15" 4x114,3mm rims.</div>Maybe those were on your car but the ones I got with the car (which are the rims it was sold with in the first place) are 185 and 14". (These are the ones you can see at my pictures.)
They are pretty nice rims, but too small and they are 'dirty beyond cleaning' so they don't look great any more.

Rasko Da Gama
10-19-2003, 04:39 AM
</div>

Maybe I didn't read your question right :oops: If it is all just about the screws... Just go to any car-parts store and tell them that you need screews for your rims - I don't think that it will be a problem to get them. I think they are 19mm screws (from the outside)...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'>Maybe those were on your car but the ones I got with the car (which are the rims it was sold with in the first place) are 185 and 14". (These are the ones you can see at my pictures.)
They are pretty nice rims, but too small and they are 'dirty beyond cleaning' so they don't look great any more.</div>

Actually I had the same as you (185/70/14) https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif but GTi's in Europe, GSX's and VR4's in US an JDM had 195/60/15. They are a perfect fit to our models since they have all the same distances between holes. :wink:

jeucken
10-19-2003, 07:43 AM
Well, like I said, I luckily don't have to worry about the size because these also have been on a G.
So the main problem was the wheel not coming of and after that the screws not fitting. But since it sunday the store is closed https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif, So I have to wait until tomorrow. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

jeucken
10-19-2003, 11:49 AM
Another slight problem:
I had nothing much to do today so I decided to clean my new rims a little bit more before I put them on my car. Like I said: 2 wheels have Michelin's on them and they still pretty good. The other 2 wheels have Yokohama's on them and these are almost worn (but should get me through the month and then I will buy new tires for these 2).
Now I noticed that the Yokohama's are 205/50 R16 and the Michelin's are 205/55 R16. So the Michelin tires are slightly larger than the Yokohama's.
- Will this give me a problem the coming month?
- I want to put the Michelin's up front because I have FWD, or is it bad for the car that the front is 1 cm higher than the rear?
- I believe I can buy 205/55 R16 when I'm getting new tires next month...

Please help.... :?

J apmetal
10-19-2003, 04:01 PM
If it were me, I'd make sure all the tyres were the same size before I fit them, otherwise you may have grip/handling issues. If you really want them on before you sort out the tyres, measure across the centre of your old & new wheels+tyres to get the overall diameter of each, then fit the new pair of wheels which best match the size of the old ones; If you dont do this, the difference in size will alter your speedo reading [altho not by much in this case] and you may be going faster than you think you are !

As regards the nuts; yes, you should be able to get new ones from anywhere; you'll want to ask for them to fit MOMO ARROWS, since that's what your new wheels are https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif [The other alternative is to get alot of measurements of the threads on the hubs & the holes in the wheels to get a match, but hopefully the place you go can find out which ones you'll need for you !]

jeucken
10-19-2003, 04:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>If it were me, I'd make sure all the tyres were the same size before I fit them, otherwise you may have grip/handling issues. Â*If you really want them on before you sort out the tyres, measure across the centre of your old & new wheels+tyres to get the overall diameter of each, then fit the new pair of wheels which best match the size of the old ones; If you dont do this, the difference in size will alter your speedo reading [altho not by much in this case] and you may be going faster than you think you are !</div>That will be the case no matter what because these wheels are way bigger than the previous ones. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif I just need to find out how big the difference is.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>As regards the nuts; yes, you should be able to get new ones from anywhere; you'll want to ask for them to fit MOMO ARROWS, since that's what your new wheels are https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif [The other alternative is to get alot of measurements of the threads on the hubs & the holes in the wheels to get a match, but hopefully the place you go can find out which ones you'll need for you !]</div>I think I will take the rims with me and throw them on the counter at the store. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

J apmetal
10-19-2003, 04:47 PM
If that's the case, when you get newer tyres get a lower profile, to bring it more into line with the old size !!

jeucken
10-19-2003, 05:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>If that's the case, when you get newer tyres get a lower profile, to bring it more into line with the old size !!</div>But when I get new ones I was planning to get the same size at the Michelin ones (FYI: I'm getting only 2 new ones since the Michelin's are still pretty ok.), so this is the set up now:
2x 205/55 R16 front (Michelin)
2x 205/50 R16 rear (Yokohama)

And in a month that will be:
2x 205/55 R16 front (*some brand, don't know which one yet*)
2x 205/55 R16 rear (Michelin)

ken inn
10-19-2003, 05:32 PM
ummm. first off, i believe our wheels are hub centered. that means, they have a round protrusion in the center of the hub, and the inside of the wheel has an opening for it. more than likely, your old wheels have corrosion and the wheel is rusted to the hub. take off the center cap, and maybe shoot some penetrating oil in there, or just beat the hell out of it.
second, the wheel bolts or nuts, whatever you have(i have wheel bolts) have a certain type of shoulder on them. different manufacturers have different styles. most are angled, and the angles are NOT all the same. if you dont use the proper wheel lug bolt/nut, you will PERMANENTLY damage the wheel. and, you run the risk of the wheel coming off at speed.

jeucken
10-19-2003, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken inn)</div><div class='quotemain'>ummm. Â*first off, i believe our wheels are hub centered. Â*that means, they have a round protrusion in the center of the hub, and the inside of the wheel has an opening for it. Â*more than likely, your old wheels have corrosion and the wheel is rusted to the hub. Â*take off the center cap, and maybe shoot some penetrating oil in there, or just beat the hell out of it.</div>I'm going to the shop tomorrow, to ask if they can do it for me.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Â* Â* second, the wheel bolts or nuts, whatever you have(i have wheel bolts) have a certain type of shoulder on them. Â*different manufacturers have different styles. Â*most are angled, and the angles are NOT all the same. Â*if you dont use the proper wheel lug bolt/nut, you will PERMANENTLY damage the wheel. Â*and, you run the risk of the wheel coming off at speed.</div>Ok, but I guess a normal carshop can hook me up with the good screws??? :?

J apmetal
10-23-2003, 06:46 PM
if you go to a reasonably good place, and tell them who made the wheels & what car you're fitting them to, they should be able to sort you out https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

jeucken
10-23-2003, 07:50 PM
if you go to a reasonably good place, and tell them who made the wheels & what car you're fitting them to, they should be able to sort you out https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gifMy Mitsubishi dealer got me good screws ;-)
See Galant Pictures topic for pictures of the new rims. ;-)