PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts?

96TEXASgalant
09-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Has anyone replaced there mounts yet? It looks simple but we know how that can be! Did anyone run into any problems? Any info is appreciated.

Oh snap< I just saw almost the same post. Duh, Oh-well

Kain
09-13-2002, 03:55 PM
I changed mine just last year. The whole thing took me about 2 hours total. The thing that really slows you down is that you have to do one at a time. The front one is the most difficult for some reason. It just does not want to line up. The rear is relatively easy, assuming you're up on your yoga. And the side one is a no brainer, you don't even have to lean over. It makes a fairly noticable diffrence, especially during acceleration. you also feel a bit less of the vibration of the engine.

Jesse
09-13-2002, 04:20 PM
ya support the engine right? Or just do one at a time and no support?

IS transmission mounts necessary too?

what brand did you replace them with?

Kain
09-13-2002, 05:24 PM
You don't have to support the engine, but it's a really good idea, since you'll have to jack the engine up to put the new ones back in anyway. I didn't change the transmission mount because it was still in good shape (the others were rotted and torn) Umm, I just used the OEM ones. They're kinda expensive ($40 for the front one [only $25 if you have M/T] and $25 for the back one [both A/T M/T are the same]) But I'm usually leery of parts from NAPA.

XXL4G64
05-12-2008, 11:13 PM
so just jack up the engine

laxinwarrior
05-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Are you fucking serious.....

Blue Ice
05-13-2008, 12:01 AM
so just jack up the engine

you do realize this thread is nearly SIX YEARS OLD!!!! :smt013:

kbeast
05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
im thinking about this guy mr. XXL or whatever btw blue the chiefs are my favorite team hands down

XXL4G64
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
yea but my back 1 is so bad i didnt know till 1 of my friends show it to me

RacerX4g64S
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Junkyards usally has engine mounts in good shape for cheap like $5. Its crazy what they charge fopr them.

RAZ_76
08-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I dont advise buying used motormounts. Thats just a risk you are willing to take though. I for one dont go cheap on that.

bmore303
08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm with Ray, honestly if you're going to replace your mounts you may as well go with the 2g prothane set imo.

G-spot
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
either new or urethane

galantryinbattle
08-17-2008, 03:13 AM
I did my engine mounts a few months ago and it was pretty damn easy, most 2ton jacks will fit under the oilpan without a problem, use a thin block of wood and just lift it a little bit, and take out the side first (2 bolts on the engine block first then the bushing crossbolt) and reinstall the 2 bolts first but do not tighten you will have to do a little pushing on the engine to get your crossbolt back in but just be patient and get the crossbolt in before tightening the 2 bolts to the engine. the bottom mount is much easier just keep it supported by the jackstand and you can rock the engine by hand to get the crossbolt in its really easy. I don't know the torque specs but tightening them by hand with a 1/2 inch ratchet as hard as you can will be enough. When removing them you may need to use a breaker bar but keep your impact tool in the drawer it has no use here.

galantryinbattle
08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
I dont advise buying used motormounts. Thats just a risk you are willing to take though. I for one dont go cheap on that.

I agree with Raz on this, replacing used motor mounts with used motor mounts is just a big waste of time. If you can find the Urethane ones they are worth the money becuase honestly the stock rubber material and the strain of that 4 cylinder pushing and pulling under load really wears them out quickly and the Urethane will probably last alot longer and give you less torque loss and driveline strain. Thats why the pros use them and are trying to sell them to you, they are really a big improvement.

RacerX4g64S
08-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I purchased all 4 from a junkyard and filled them with windo weld. I have been running them for about 3 years. I have driven an 2g Eclipse with Prothane mounts; too much vibration for a daily driver. As I spend most of my time in stop an go traffic.

Also the windo weld allows me keep the "sand in my vagina" without being uncomfortable.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=16134&highlight=vagina