PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Task

ryankalel
10-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Found a huge puddle of coolant on the driveway the other day, took a look at the water pump and it is weeping. So I looked around for a new water pump. Is this the right one, for this cheap??? http://www.pickproparts.com/PartsList.aspx...ubCategoryID=23 ('http://www.pickproparts.com/PartsList.aspx?SubCategoryID=23')

Should I have someone else do this for me? I am pretty sure that this is somehow adjacent to the timing belt. If it is easy enough to change can someone tell me??

thanks

95vegasgalant
10-19-2003, 11:20 PM
:twisted: Its prettry easy if your a little mechanical wise. while your at it change your belts and timing and balance shaft that pump is cheap. Only thing to remember your timing marks. by the way I changed mine twice already. wanna drive to vegas ill do it for 150 labor the part here is 80 brand new

rfpa1
10-20-2003, 07:22 AM
To replace the water pump it should be easy. I do recommend that you change all the belts at that time. Also if you can, remove the engine mount by the water pump and the front one then you can lift about 2 to 3 inches the engine with a jack and life will be easier to do all the work.

Also, you can order the wp from a couple of places at around $80 or if you really want to save go to www.rockauto.com and there you can order good parts from 50 to 70 bucks. I use them faily often.

Thanks

JiP
10-20-2003, 11:48 AM
Its pretty easy to change a waterpump. The real bitch is that you have to remove the timing belt, and if you dont know what your doing and you dont know how to put the correct tension on that belt you could end up destroying your engine. Theres very little give with geting the timing incorrect. On the sohc its VERY simple to do the timing belt job, but you should realize that it can destroy your engine and if you feel you dont know enough bout doin the belts your way better off having someone else do it.

manybrews
10-20-2003, 05:02 PM
if you mistime the timing belt, or turn the engine over whilst its off, you will bend the valves.
this is NOT something I recommend for most people to do. more often than not they end up with a LOT more damage than just the pump.