PDA

View Full Version : shell gasoline better mpg

anfield
10-19-2003, 07:05 PM
I saw several months ago that shell gasoline will improve car mpg. So, I decided to try it.
After I started using shell, my galant mpg getting better, having 22 mpg, 23 mpg and now 24 mpg. Before I used shell, I always got 19-20.5 mpg...

Does anyone know how and why shell gas can improve mpg?

Is there any 'side effect' to our car?

Dan

extremsprt86
10-19-2003, 07:21 PM
i totally thought that was bs. there is no way in my mind that some difference in gas will improve gas mileage. i would really like to know there secret.

pinoyesv6
10-19-2003, 08:28 PM
with no peformance mods on the car, i was averaging 23-24 mpg with any type of gas on my v6. to me i didn't see a difference.

keithert
10-19-2003, 08:55 PM
I just got my 01 V6 but I filled it with 93 octane Thornton gas. For the first 180 miles it got 23 mpg.

RedGalant2k1
10-19-2003, 09:03 PM
There is a lot of different factors that go into increases or decreases of Gas Mileage. Weather, driving style, cargo, highway driving, stop and go driving.

That doesn't mean Shell gas is or isn't better than anyother gasoline company out there, there are a lot of things to factor in.

10-19-2003, 09:24 PM
Shell claims that their gasoline "reduces friction." I'd really like to know what friction they are reducing...

The gain in mpg, unless you have done any other mods for your car, is simply driving habit. Maybe you took it a little easier on this tank of gas?

pinoyesv6
10-19-2003, 09:39 PM
yea, i went on a road trip this weekend. 820 miles. got gas at BP, Crown, Sunoco, Hess, and shell. didn't notice a big difference in mileage. there was like a slight difference in one part of the trip and thats only cuz diana is a lil bit more lead footed than i am.

anfield
10-19-2003, 10:05 PM
I dont know but for a year that I'm driving my car, I never get better than 21mpg (the avg is 20.5 mpg)... now I got 23-24 mpg...

and I dont change my driving style or have any mods... :roll:

CT_GalantV6
10-21-2003, 07:13 AM
maybe they make their fuel with smaller molucles which makes a more dense liquid fuel which uses less liquid to create the fuel vapor that the engines actually runs on causing the liquid feul in the tank to last longer, which would be better mpg.

:decline: :approve:

jusmills
10-24-2003, 12:10 PM
the only thing I can think of is that the claim of better gas mileage is partly from the ratio of short straight chains and octane (8 carbon-straight chains) to small aromatics (4-12 carbon "rings") the higher the percentage of straight chains the cleaner your engine will run (ie aromatics bad for engine, and the environment). Additionally, the higher the aromatic content the more viscous (thicker) your gas will be (possible claim of "less friction") making it tougher (not that much) to flow.

Finally--having a degree in chem pays off https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

HondaKillerGTZ
10-24-2003, 08:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jusmills)</div><div class='quotemain'>the only thing I can think of is that the claim of better gas mileage is partly from the ratio of short straight chains and octane (8 carbon-straight chains) to small aromatics (4-12 carbon "rings") the higher the percentage of straight chains the cleaner your engine will run (ie aromatics bad for engine, and the environment). Â*Additionally, the higher the aromatic content the more viscous (thicker) your gas will be (possible claim of "less friction") making it tougher (not that much) to flow. Â*

Finally--having a degree in chem pays off https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</div>

I dont understand this explanation, but I feel my car running better with shell in comparison with texaco, these are the 2 best gas suppliers in my area, all others are $hit

GalantSilver99
10-24-2003, 09:03 PM
See yall are all talking about Shell and Texaco, but where im from you can only get Amaco, Exxon, or BP. Which BP and Amaco are the same now, and I prefer Amaco

GTZeeya44
10-26-2003, 12:21 AM
i go where they have premium for cheap https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

krazienluv10
10-26-2003, 02:35 AM
yea different places do give you better gas millage, i did a report on this and used my car, an accord, and a camry in my school... as performance wise i have no idea, only what u guys say....

escoson
10-26-2003, 02:38 AM
certain companies have better quality of gas and some of them do give you more mpg and all that stuff, i notice a difference at the citgo on the corner by my house when i go there because i always get less mpg then when i go to bp