PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Tranny Flush? Sir Manybrews?

Auto-9
09-13-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking ahead to my 30k/2 year service and was wondering if I should have my engine and tranny fluids flushed while I'm doing the maintenance, or if it's just a waste of money on another of the dealer "gotchas."

manybrews
09-13-2002, 08:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm thinking ahead to my 30k/2 year service and was wondering if I should have my engine and tranny fluids flushed while I'm doing the maintenance, or if it's just a waste of money on another of the dealer "gotchas."</div>

waste of money.

changing them normally is more than enough.

its not harmful, but its not doing anything fancy.
the engine oil flush is a bigger waste of money than the trans flush, as you only get about 50 percent of the fluid out during a trans service.. so a "Flush" will get more fluid out.
that said, todays trans fluids are damn stout. personally, i recommend changing it once a year due to the ease of it on the new galants.. just drain and fill.. takes no longer than an oil change.

Auto-9
09-13-2002, 08:41 PM
Much thanks for the info...always looking for the best for my car glad to have a tech around https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Wawaboy
09-15-2002, 10:49 AM
I had my engine flush at 15k, just as precaution. My trans fluid was also flushed at 15k, and 28k. Truthfully, I think it's a waste of money to do an engine flush. I was charged for $60 on top of an oil change. I started using products from Amsoil ( www.amsoil.com ) at 28k. I used their AEF (engine flush), and the TSO (Series 2000 0w-30) I have gain about 2.3-2.5 MPG, and the engine feels stronger. BTW, I have been running the same oil (no drain) for 13k miles now. I also use the ATF Amsoil makes, makes a big difference compare to the Mitsu fluid I used at the 15k flush.