PDA

View Full Version : how often do i change the front

krazienluv10
10-22-2003, 10:17 PM
how often is this done ??? every couple months?? i just installed my new pads myself like 2 months ago and now its making scraping noises...am i suppose to resurface the rotors all the time??? i havent done this for like 2 years... i was thinking if i dont resurface the rotors i wouldnt have to buy new ones as often...

pinoyesv6
10-22-2003, 10:57 PM
it is good common practice to resurface your rotors or get them replaced everytime you change the pads.

krazienluv10
10-22-2003, 11:20 PM
are the brake pads normally suppose to wear out in 2 months??? i just drive it regularly most of the times....

pinoyesv6
10-22-2003, 11:25 PM
are the brake pads normally suppose to wear out in 2 months??? i just drive it regularly most of the times....

no. but if you remove the pad and look at it, it can help tell you your problems.

10-22-2003, 11:27 PM
sounds like seized front calipers to me, man...get ready to shell out some cash. Do they squeal all the time or just when you apply the brakes? Do you notice that you may have lost some speed/power? Then you may be in for about $250 or more worth of calipers...my advice, take them off yourself, take them into autzone, get like $95 off the on the core price, and do the work yourself. Follow a manual and save yourself a few bills.

krazienluv10
10-23-2003, 09:18 PM
i guess i might as well take it apart... too lazy though..... :roll: aahhh

krazienluv10
10-23-2003, 10:48 PM
ohhh ya how often can i resurface the rotors before it is unsafe??? i know there is a specific mesurement but how many resurfaces is that approximately??....

10-24-2003, 12:16 AM
i guess i might as well take it apart... too lazy though..... :roll: aahhh
I got my rear calipers off, on, and bled in under an hour and a half.

krazienluv10
10-27-2003, 04:59 PM
ahh finally took out the wheels but the brakes are like brand new@!!!!! soo do u think its the calipers???? it only squeals when i brake i havent really noticed any loss in power either.... :? what else can it be... im guessing its the same problem as 2k2... with the glazed rotors... :? mannnn

MidNightRacing
10-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Did you apply the stuff to stop the squealing when you first installed them?

krazienluv10
10-28-2003, 10:10 PM
yup

10-28-2003, 11:16 PM
Did you apply the stuff to stop the squealing when you first installed them?
i'm assuming you're talking about the silicone grease that goes between your brake pad and the shim?

How hard do you drive? You may have gotten some defective pads...my buddy got some that the carbon material was not compacted enough and they wore out in less than a week...so be sure to test the consistency of them...try to scrape the pad off with your finger...also check the rear pads, it may be the rear pads sqeuaking and you thinking it's the fronts.

krazienluv10
10-28-2003, 11:32 PM
naw there definetly the front... and i took it apart and there brand new almost... there the so called performance brake pads from kragen that cost about 55 i think w lifetime warrenty...hopefully the raceconcept rotors will fix the problem when get it... :roll: ... i dunno