PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! May need a new transmission...

KNJGalant2002
10-27-2003, 10:44 PM
Hi,

I have a 1998 Galant with about 70,000 I recently got my timing belt changed in May. Ever since then the car has been acting really weird. As soon as I start it up for the first 10 minutes if I try to push on the gas it wont move for about 2 seconds and then all of a sudden it seems like it kicks in. Also sometimes it stalls.

I took it back to the mechanic who changed the timing belt and he said they forgot to put back on a valve cover. So the problem got a little better but it's still not running the way it used too. I took it to two other mechanics one said it was the transmission and the timing belt and my original mechanic said nothing is wrong and another mechanic I took it too said nothing is wrong.

So two mechanics say nothing is wrong and the third says its my transmission. I know it's not running the way it used too. But how can two other mechanics say nothing is wrong with it and another wants to charge me 2,000 for a rebuilt transmission. I really don't have a lot of money and would rather not throw my money into a new transmission if that's not the problem. I don't know if he is trying to rip me off. If someone could please help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kristy

manybrews
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
if this all started happening as SOON as the t-belt was changed, its doubtful its related to the trans.
unless, of course, you had your oil changed at the same time, and the idiots drained the wrong fluid (which happens WAY too often).
check your trans fluid for proper level. you must to it in NUETRAL ONLY, engine running, warm. do NOT check it in park.
if you have a low fluid level, its either due to a leak, or someone draining the fluid and not refilling it correctly, or at all.
check your oil level if your trans fluid is low. a lot of idiots drain the trans thinking its engine oil, then add 4 quarts to the engine. then they let it go without even checking it.

Willy Liu
10-30-2003, 10:44 PM
yo man this happen to my 626, i think its your tranny, it doesn't feel like it grabs the gears? its like seconds later it kicks in after you push on the gas? if it gets wurst on.. u gotta get a new tranny.

peanotation
10-30-2003, 10:52 PM
same exact thing happened to me. damn, these 7th gens and their SHIT transmissions. its definatly your tranny. to avoid the 2.5K tranny rebuild job, what i did was drain a quart of tranny fluid out of my trans, and then put in that tranny rejuvinating fluid you can get at autozone/pepboys/kragenAutoParts, and within seconds, the gears cought on like normal, and the transmission was 100%!!!! i was sooo stoked. i then took the car to jiffy lube 4 days later (boy, that felt awkward rolling in with my car to a suburban jiffylube) and got a full transmission flush for $130....errggh, but it was worth it. the transmission is GREAT. try that first, becuase all you'll loose is the $5 it cost for the special tranny rebuild fluid. i got the GUNK brand.