PDA

View Full Version : Stock boost pressure on 99 vr4

Mante
10-27-2003, 11:21 PM
After reading the following I was a bit concerned:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>0.7 bar (10psi) Max boost on the standard ECU is 0.9 bar (13psi) Anymore than this level and the ECU will cut power protecting the engine. 13psi is a safe operating level for the auto transmission, i would think about installing a transmission cooler if u are lifting the boost from stock as the raidiator cooler is crap. More boost can be made if the ECU is changed to an aftermarket one (u can reset the boost limit).

by - -LegnumVR4-
Posted - May, 2003
</div>

Am I missing something or does the vr4 come stock at 10 psi and the max is 13psi on stock internals. If this is true then its really no point to upgrade BOV, boost controller, fmic etc until the internals are taken care of first.

I could not imagine the 6a13 makes estimated 280ish bhp off of 10psi then again the max is 13 please someone set my facts straight.

J apmetal
10-28-2003, 05:26 PM
I think you're missing something; that says the STOCK ECU will not allow boost over 13psi, since this would 'endanger' the engine and auto transmission. BUT I cant see this being the absolute limit, just what the factory tuners considered safe for a long, trouble free life on standard Dealer servicing. Do you think Mitsubishi themselves recommend running a 4G63 on stock internals at 500Bhp ? yet this has [apparently] been done succesfully a number of times !!

I couldnt comment on the engine internals, but from the above I'd look at an aftermarket ECU and transmission upgrades aswell if you want to run higher boost !

Mante
11-03-2003, 09:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think you're missing something; that says the STOCK ECU will not allow boost over 13psi, since this would 'endanger' the engine and auto transmission. BUT I cant see this being the absolute limit, just what the factory tuners considered safe for a long, trouble free life on standard Dealer servicing. Â*Do you think Mitsubishi themselves recommend running a 4G63 on stock internals at 500Bhp ? yet this has [apparently] been done succesfully a number of times !!

I couldnt comment on the engine internals, but from the above I'd look at an aftermarket ECU and transmission upgrades aswell if you want to run higher boost !</div>

yea that sounds like the same answers Im getting from several mitsu guys (outside tgc) since I have a manual trans I should be able to go safely up in boost on stock internals. Thanks for the insight...Im still waiting on my shop manual for the car lol