PDA

View Full Version : ECU burnt out, replacement help

yippeeee
10-31-2003, 07:03 AM
i have a 1990 5 spd awd, n/a galant, ecu burnt out, im not sure what chip it is, but its not a cap, its one of the 4 tall slender black chips that stand upright, near the edge, one is completely burnt out and has made a huge mess on the entire circuit board, My motor is DOHC, for replacement, do i need an ecu from DOHC? and does it matter 5 spd or auto? please let me know quickly, this just happened today(friday) and i plan on going rally cross racing tomorrow, last one for the season, so i dont want to miss out. thanks , nick.

yippeeee
10-31-2003, 07:35 AM
Also, could i use a talon/eclipse ecu from same year and model?, i was just calling places and they are saying the FWD ecu is not the same as AWD(different part numbers) does this really make a difference? let me know- thnx.

yippeeee
10-31-2003, 09:18 AM
I have found a place with one for same year and tranny, but its for FWD, is there any difference??? please awnser quickly, i need to get it today, or if you know where i could find information on this let me know!
Nick.

manybrews
10-31-2003, 05:17 PM
thats a transistor driver for the idle motor.
its failed probably because the idle motor has shorted, and plugging anothere ECM into your car will probably fry it as well. check the resistance of your idle motor before going any further.
and if you dont know how, you probably shouldnt be working on your own car.

and do NOT use an ECM that doesnt have the same part number. although it may work, more often than not it is missing something, or has something extra that will trigger a check engine light.