PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Galant

czou
09-15-2002, 03:02 PM
I have 160,000 miles in my Galant. In recent year, everytime I started the engine (particularly the first time in a day), a big cloud of smoking will come out from the exhaust pipe.

Any feasible method to fix or ameliorate this problem? How about to use thicker engine oil [say 30-50]?

czou

manybrews
09-15-2002, 03:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(czou)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have 160,000 miles in my Galant. Â*In recent year, everytime I started the engine (particularly the first time in a day), a big cloud of smoking will come out from the exhaust pipe.

Any feasible method to fix or ameliorate this problem? Â*How about to use thicker engine oil [say 30-50]?

czou</div>
thicker oil will do nothing.

the problem is worn valve seals and/or guides.. pretty common on a higher mileage mitsu.
there are NO band aid fixes that work. im afraid the only fix is to get a valve job. replacing the valve seals by themselves may slow it, but chances are the valve guides are worn, so this would only slow it a little, if at all.

czou
09-15-2002, 04:22 PM
Manybrews,

Thanks for your comments. I do not mean to fix this problem. I simply want to know whether the smoking will be less apparent by adding thicker engine oil and let me feel better. Since I am in the stage to decide to replace this car in a horizon of half year, the potential damage of using thicker oil to the engine damage may not be an issue.

Thanks!