PDA

View Full Version : Putting some things to rest (while raising a new one)

Auto-9
11-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Here are my street tested experiences, so they may not be representative of the entire Galant population as a whole, but it should be a nice objective dataset.

2001 Cali spec V6 top speed as verified by radar me driving: 128 mph when governed
1999 Fed spec inline 4 top speed as verified by radar not me driving: 128 mph when governed

Can a Fed spec 4 banger keep up with a Cali spec V6?
YES. From 50 mph and up with me and the comparing car floored, no one had the edge. It was a tie run up to 85 mph when we decided to call it quits for safety.

Does the A/C turn itself off when you are at wide open throttle?
Yes. During the run both drivers could testify that warm air was blowing through the vents.

And now an experience I was wondering if anyone else has shared:
I know that for most cars, 40-60 mph acceleration is hard. However, everytime I'm in that range, the car will surge forward (not lurching but like it "slides" into it) incredibly strong with just a tip of the throttle. It doesn't exactly mash me into my seat, but it's a weird burst of speed. For some reason, the car doesn't do it at any other speeds. Maybe I'm just crazy?

bam462
11-03-2003, 05:13 PM
ive got a 4 and i notice more power between 40 to 70 mph whats interesting is that i thought we had better low end power :?

DrewPinoy85
11-03-2003, 08:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bam462)</div><div class='quotemain'>.... i thought we had better low end power :?</div>
your kidding right?

Auto-9
11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrewPinoy85)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bam462)</div><div class='quotemain'>.... i thought we had better low end power :?</div>
your kidding right?</div>

He's probably not. Looking at our dyno graphs you can clearly see that our power surges from about 2k to 4k and then starts dropping due to our SOHC engine. That's why it does no good to keep the Galant floored till redline before you shift.

bam462
11-03-2003, 10:10 PM
ty auto but i went out and payed attn. to the power. take off is ok https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif getting from 60 to 80 mph SEEMS faster then any other point

11-03-2003, 11:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrewPinoy85)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bam462)</div><div class='quotemain'>.... i thought we had better low end power :?</div>
your kidding right?</div>

He's probably not. Looking at our dyno graphs you can clearly see that our power surges from about 2k to 4k and then starts dropping due to our SOHC engine. That's why it does no good to keep the Galant floored till redline before you shift.</div>
you guys have daily driver cars...i mean no offense by that, of course. Your cams probably max out somewhere around 5500 rpms, maybe sooner. As rpm's go up, so should your lift and duration.

RedGalant2k1
11-04-2003, 12:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScootinIntegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>
you guys have daily driver cars...i mean no offense by that, of course. Your cams probably max out somewhere around 5500 rpms, maybe sooner. As rpm's go up, so should your lift and duration.</div>

Peak RPM is around 5500. Max RPM is 6500.