PDA

View Full Version : Strobe install w/pics now

Elwenil
11-10-2003, 11:21 PM
Hey, I just put strobes in my G's headlamps, and ran across a few tips I thought I'd share. I did a search and all I found were the posts where you guys were putting them in the drain hole in the corner lamp, but I wanted mine out in the headlamp, so I had to go a different route. One thing is for sure, with the seperate reflector and bezel inside an 8G's headlamps, the options are pretty slim. The only place I could find to put them was in the top of the lamp, in front of the reflector. I wish I had a digital camera to show pics, but I don't so I'll describe as best I can. I drilled the hole in the top of the lamp, but off to one side. Depending on which lamp it is, it could be right or left but for this discussion, lets just deal with the driver's side headlamp assembly, and left and right are from the perspective of standing in front of the G, looking at it head on. So in the case, the hole was placed in the drivers lamp but to the left of center. Looking at the lamp from above (in or out of the car) you can see the clip that holds the clear lens onto the rest of the housing at about the middle of the lamp. (SEE PIC #1) Approx. 2" to the left of the clip, there is a "cut in" sort of place in the edge of the black plastic housing. (SEE PIC #2) In the right hand corner of that "cut out" is where I drilled the hole for the strobe. This puts the strobe in front of the main headlamp reflector, so the strobe is reflected also, and kinda hides the strobe in the grey area of the lamp unless you are looking straight into the lamp. (SEE PIC #3) Oh, the strobes I used are Optx brand by Street Glow. One other thing, if you experiment with the placement of the strobes, be aware of the fact that there is about a half inch space between the outside of the black housing and the main reflector inside. Also, when you drill, use a 1/4" bit as a pilot bit. That way if you drill in the wrong spot, you can easily plug the hole with a cap off the end of the normal, cheap BIC pen. Just pop off the cap (on the non-writing end, dummy) and stuff it in the hole. Works great and fits tight enough for a good seal. And yeah, I screwed up, and had to plug mine, so I know it works. With some tubing to dress up the wires, it should look pretty good. My installation turned out fairly well, and I'm sure anyone can do it. All the guess work is done, anyway. :wink:

PIC #1:http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p6c5eba8196290268efee8573892928e8/fa9547e2.jpg
PIC #2:http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pa826d0987300cf761a0180ec0562789a/fa9547e0.jpg
PIC #3:http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p866d7d4d138ea7bcd8b8cfe5f4b85f1e/fa9547de.jpg

Edited for pics: 7pm EST

Alexey
11-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Very nice, how about some pix now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Elwenil
11-10-2003, 11:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexey)</div><div class='quotemain'>Very nice, how about some pix now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>
If I can steal a digital camera from one of my friends I will post some. Actually, I might as well go buy a disposable camera and have the pics put on disc. I need to post pics of my dual tip muffler on an 8G too. So I'll try that sometime this week, since I'm off work.

pinoyesv6
11-10-2003, 11:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elwenil)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alexey)</div><div class='quotemain'>Very nice, how about some pix now https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>
If I can steal a digital camera from one of my friends I will post some. Actually, I might as well go buy a disposable camera and have the pics put on disc. I need to post pics of my dual tip muffler on an 8G too. So I'll try that sometime this week, since I'm off work.</div>

my suggestion. go digital. or go with video. i tried taking pictures of my strobes. i think i took a dozen pictures. only like 2 or 3 showed up.

Elwenil
11-11-2003, 12:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>my suggestion. go digital. or go with video. i tried taking pictures of my strobes. i think i took a dozen pictures. only like 2 or 3 showed up.</div>

Good point, but now you are talking real money. I wish I could get that Sony digital camera I've been looking at, but I think I was coil overs first, lol. Besides, I'm just going to take pics of the install, not the strobes working. That would be like trying to take pics of lightning. It can be done, but with a slow shutter speed, and a camera I can't afford either, lol. So I'll do what I can. Nice meeting you at Springfield BTW, even though I didn't introduce myself. :wink:

Alexey
11-11-2003, 12:59 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Elwenil)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>my suggestion. go digital. or go with video. i tried taking pictures of my strobes. i think i took a dozen pictures. only like 2 or 3 showed up.</div>

Good point, but now you are talking real money. I wish I could get that Sony digital camera I've been looking at, but I think I was coil overs first, lol. Besides, I'm just going to take pics of the install, not the strobes working. That would be like trying to take pics of lightning. It can be done, but with a slow shutter speed, and a camera I can't afford either, lol. So I'll do what I can. Nice meeting you at Springfield BTW, even though I didn't introduce myself. :wink:</div>

Maybe you want to buy my Sony digital camera I have ? It's not new, I've had it for a little over 2 years now, it has a floppy drive so you can pop the disk in, take some pix, and have them on your computer right away. If interested, shoot me a PM.

Elwenil
11-11-2003, 06:03 PM
New pics, check top of thread... :wink:

VA_LANCER_RACER
11-11-2003, 06:54 PM
looks good, what brand are they and how much?

ChromeGalant
11-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Good job..

I hate the el cheapo strobes I used to have them.. they are not very bright but you get what you pay for...... Im gonna get some of the real strobes..Whelens..like the cops have!

extremsprt86
11-11-2003, 07:26 PM
are those the ones from pep boys?... i have a set in my glovebox lol.

Elwenil
11-11-2003, 07:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VA_LANCER_RACER)</div><div class='quotemain'>looks good, what brand are they and how much?</div>

Thx, and they are the Optx by Street Glow. They ran me $24.88 from Advance Auto, and then I bought the srobe controller for another $20. I plan on getting another set of these to go in the fog light housings. That way I can make them chase or alternate. And no, they aren't that bright, but when the headlamps are off they light up the housing really well. It's just an effect, I don't really want something real blinding. Oh, and the last time I checked on the Whelens, Federal Signal, Code 3, or any of the others, you could only get the white strobe, as they are made to be put behind colored lenses. This may have changed since then, but I'm still not going to pay that much for something that is only good for shows, and will just get my car impounded if I get caught. :wink: