PDA

View Full Version : UnderBody Neon MOD HELP!!!

Tight2Def
11-11-2003, 10:51 AM
Hey Guys i just got my under body neon Kit. ( White) ANd what i want to do is wire the neon so it come on with my Dome Lights..

SO when I open the door it comes on and fades with the dome light when i lock the door...

What would i need to do this mod.. Cause i also would like to be able to turn it on And off independent ly too..

Please help I think this would be so SICK if i could get it to work...

:!:

VIO
11-11-2003, 05:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tight2Def)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Guys Â*i just got my under body neon Kit. ( White) Â*ANd what i want to do is wire the neon so it come on with my Dome Lights.. Â*

SO when I open the door it comes on and fades with the dome light when i lock the door...

What would i need to do this mod.. Â*Cause i also would like to be able to turn it on And off independent ly too..

Please help Â*I think this would be so SICK Â*if i could get it to work...

:!:</div>

just hook two relays in parallel. that way when either relay is activated it will cause the neon to come on. one is triggered by a switch and one is triggered but the dome light switch. easy peasy mod for sure! cheers.

Tight2Def
11-11-2003, 07:43 PM
OK... I C... I think I understand.... i'm A Newbie the is my first major mod..

Do I need to get another relay switch... or splice to the Dome light wire...
:?

Any Help would be great...

Elwenil
11-11-2003, 08:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tight2Def)</div><div class='quotemain'>SO when I open the door it comes on and fades with the dome light when i lock the door...</div>

I don't think that you will be able to get it to fade with the dome light. Maybe with LED neon tubes, but not with true neon. In order to get them to fade, you would have to use the wire going to the dome light itself as the power source for the neon. With true neon, the tubes would light up with the dome light, but when the dome light fades, the neon would just go off. The reason is that the dome lights fade by reducing the voltage to the light. The transformer for the neon needs a certain amount of power to run the tubes, so I think it would just cut off at a certain point. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that is how it would work. That is providing it doesn't just blow your dome light fuse. With LED neon, you may have the same trouble, but since I haven't yet got mine in, and haven't played with any LED tubes before, I'm not sure. I know that LEDs will fade with reduced voltage, but since they use much less voltage than normal lights, they may just go off at a later time than the true neon tubes. The best way to hook any of this up is as VIO stated, with relays. That way you don't risk overloading a circuit and blowing fuses, but with the relays it will make it impossible to fade the tubes. Now with some LED neon like Redline, they have a control box that can do fades on their own. If it is possible to keep it in the fade mode, then hooking them up with relays would work, but they may not fade at the same time, or rate as the dome light. Just my thoughts, hope I didn't confuse the piss out of you, lol... :wink: