PDA

View Full Version : low voltage

Touring rider
11-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi there

My car is delivering between 13.7 - 14.4 volts with engine running and with al lights on and air conditioner on either.

Then, i check with my tester the battery voltage with the engine off and the voltage is 12.5, it's a new battery, what can be go wrong here? i don't get it

any help would be appreciated

steve18sccc
11-11-2003, 05:30 PM
did you test the alternator i had the same problem on my old grand prix and it was the alternator, not exactly sure it could be something else but its worth a sot

pinoyesv6
11-11-2003, 05:37 PM
the reason there is a voltage difference is because when your car is on, you got the battery to give u power and the alternator is kicking out power too. but when the car is off, its just the battery kicking out power. this the difference in voltage.

but yea, as long as you're over 12 volts, you're good to go.

95mitsu03
11-11-2003, 05:58 PM
mine had the same issues. what I think is that the alternator is not strong enough to support more accesories. I wonder if there is an alternator upgrade? what is the rating of the gs' alternator?

Touring rider
11-11-2003, 07:40 PM
thanks for replies mates, anyway what i know is if the battery has an output < or equal to 12.6 volts the battery is discharged and need charge.

If the voltage is > 12.7 volt then the battery is charged.

Anyway, how can i check the alternator? any ideas to that in home ? or the best for that is remove the whole alternator and send it to an electrician?

i've been driving a lot and for several days, so perhaps .... yeah the alternator have some problem.

thanks again

Ositoyb
11-11-2003, 08:21 PM
hey, you from chile? lol, i guess Pep Boys wouldnt mean nothing to you then huh? lol. but, if you drive a lot of a little, it doesnt matter. i was otld that if the bettery was 12.6 or 12.7)dont remember) it means that your battery is okay. but i would say, keep driving the car like you are for a little while longer, a week or so, and ifr something feels different or wrong with the carm then check the voltage again, and if its lower than 12.6 then take it to a repair shop.

o yea, im from Peru....we neighboors, lol

Touring rider
11-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Hi there again

Hi Ositoyb, yeah we're neighbours and i'm wondering what means the pep boys but no idea,anyway i've been driving more than a week and that's why my concern.

I've already have a faulty distributor in my 95 7G with just 58000 miles, then i found the power transistor for my distributor and i change it my self,but then it begins my worries about the electrical system in this car.

Maybe the the old battery and the voltage regulator had something to do with that problem, some peak voltage and the power transistor open his legs :twisted: jejeje don't know.

OK i'm done

cheers

JiP
11-18-2003, 09:27 PM
I dont understand what the problem is??

Your battery is suposed to be around 12v with the engine off, and car running should be atleast 12v mine averages around 13v with the car running and lights on.

It measures higher with your engine running because the power your reading is the output of the alternator, which is charging the battery, and outputs slightly higher then the battery power. By your readings your car is normal.