The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Right Hand drive DOHC owners - Gauges just for you FREE! :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 58
    Rasko Da Gama

Right Hand drive DOHC owners - Gauges just for you FREE! :-)

Since I always keep my promises, I finaly took a few hours off and made White face gauges for Right Hand Drive DOHC owners. Actually, you can thank to Bluedraco, becouse he was the one who sent me scaned gauges and made this possible... well I made it possible in the end but you all know what I mean. I hope these gauges can be usefull not just for Bluedraco, but also for any of you Australian... and other JDM 6G owners who have a right hand drive DOHC...

This is how it goes:
    Click on a picture to get a ful sized Gauge. Save it, and than print it out directly from Adobe Photoshop since measurements are made in this software. Exact size is 15.7 x 13.0 centimeters at 300dpi.
    Use High quality Photo paper and a good one HP Deskjet or Epson Stylus color printer.

Anyone who'll make this, post some pictures, I would be honored

BONSAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speedo

Tacho

:shock: Whoa for a minute there i thought it went to 240 mph! Shiii! :!:
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

bluedraco
    hey mate

they look really really nice...thanks for taking the time to edit those gauges i scanned you to come up with this...congrats on such a great job!

i have a few questions though:

1) you say to print them out on high quality paper...won't this prevent the light at night from coming through?

2) if i print them out on high quality paper, do you mean, photo quality paper?

3) once printed out, do i just remove the old ones and put these on top of those "clear" spacers that are underneath the original gauges?

and just to let you know...when i had my mazda mx6, here in australia, i was actually the person who designed and MANUFACTURED white guages for that particular car...i printed in on a transparant backing which then went on a thin white perspex and was a complete replacement for the original gauges...the reason i'm asking you is that the original gauges in the galant are much much thinner than my mx6 ones were so the perspex that i can get my hands on isn't thin enough....

4) do you have a picture of what it looks like at night?

let me know...and again, thanks for taking the time to make them...now if you can answer my questions maybe i can actually get them installed!

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey mate
    they look really really nice...thanks for taking the time to edit those gauges i scanned you to come up with this...congrats on such a great job!</div>
    Well thanx
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    i have a few questions though:
    1) Â*you say to print them out on high quality paper...won't this prevent the light at night from coming through?</div>
    No it won't. I printed them out on Photo paper and actually the problem is that the light shines through too much I have to figure out the solution for this. But I am sure that here on TGC we'll come out with something 8)
    2) Â*if i print them out on high quality paper, do you mean, photo quality paper?</div>
    Yes
    3) Â*once printed out, do i just remove the old ones and put these on top of those "clear" spacers that are underneath the original gauges?
    </div>
    That's right. But as I said before, you'll see shades from the whole mechanism... We'll have to figure out a solution for this soon
    and just to let you know...when i had my mazda mx6, here in australia, i was actually the person who designed and MANUFACTURED white guages for that particular car...i printed in on a transparant backing which then went on a thin white perspex and was a complete replacement for the original gauges...the reason i'm asking you is that the original gauges in the galant are much much thinner than my mx6 ones were so the perspex that i can get my hands on isn't thin enough....
    </div>
    Damn, I think I saw a tutorial when someone made White face gauges of Electroluminescent paper - and it was on some Mazda... That was sooo HOT :shock: Was it You? :?:
    4) Â*do you have a picture of what it looks like at night?
    </div>
    Sorry, but I didn't made it yet. I'll post it as soon as I borrow that digital camera again
    let me know...and again, thanks for taking the time to make them...now if you can answer my questions maybe i can actually get them installed! Â*:)</div>
    You better get them in... These were made mostly becouse of your help
    It's nice to see that people appriciate your work. Like in the other post, when Pro sniper posted pictures of The same gauges I have.
    Those posted pictures are the biggest Thank you for me
    Cheerz, good luck and post some pictures when done.

bluedraco
    here is a picture of the gauges i made installed in my car:

http://bluedraco82.customer.netspace.net.a...Picture021a. jpg

here are a few pictures of them at night:

http://bluedraco82.customer.netspace.net.a...Picture032a. jpg
    http://bluedraco82.customer.netspace.net.a...Picture033a. jpg
    http://bluedraco82.customer.netspace.net.a...Picture035a. jpg
    http://bluedraco82.customer.netspace.net.a...Picture036a. jpg

that's right...i made these and actually sold quite a lot of them to people here in australia who also had the same car...

anyway, what do you think of those? they looked VERY cool at night!

bluedraco
    oh yeah, i forgot to ask...

during the day, are the lights behind the "check engine" and "Park" and "door open" symbols still visible? if they aren't then i'll have to work something out (perspex, etc) as all those warning lights need to be visible during the day as well as the night...

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>oh yeah, i forgot to ask...

during the day, are the lights behind the "check engine" and "Park" and "door open" symbols still visible? Â*if they aren't then i'll have to work something out (perspex, etc) as all those warning lights need to be visible during the day as well as the night...</div>

Yes, that lights are visible very well at daytime. Dont worry

Now, please tell me how did you made these? What's the secret? Is this printed out on Electroluminescent paper?

bluedraco
    i actually made this using my friend's tools...he has a $70,000 laser cutting machine and expensive printers...

basically, they are white perspex (transparent, but very strong white) which we cut with the laser machine to the correct shape and size...we then printed the gauges out on TRANSPARENCY (sp?) paper which we then aligned and stuck over the cut perspex...

this was a big job...there is no way it can be done as nicely without using the correct tools and materials...

nothing much else i can tell you as i bet that you don't have one of those machines sitting in your garage alongside your galant!

bluedraco
    oh yeah, another thing...i put little "bulb sleeves" over the top of the bulbs that go behind the gauges...they were coloured blue that is why it is a nice blue/aqua sort of colour

marktheblake
    Would this work?

Get one layer of plastic, and print it in reverse colours, so that the background is black,but the numbers and lines etc are not painted at all. this will mean the back light will only come tthrough the spaces that were not painted black.

then the next layer of plastic is white, and printed the numbers etc in the desired colours. Then you overlay the 2nd layer over top of the first. So you should have white gauges in the day, and it at night only the numbers glow.

bluedraco
    yes, that would work...however, the lighting wouldn't be as good and it is also A LOT more work to set it up (something which i personally wouldn't be bothered with)!

bluedraco
    well i printed them out exactly how they were in photoshop and it made them too small (had already cut them and found out, argh!)...

anyway, i've resized them in photoshop to 15.7x13 and they are the right size now...i should have them installed shortly and i'll update with another post then...

edit - it might have something to do with the fact that you edited them thinking they were 300dpi when the scanned images that i sent you were actually 360dpi (that's what i scanned them in as)!

bluedraco
    ok, i just put them in the car then...they look great, and while the warning lights aren't quite as bright as before (for obvious reasons) they are still easily noticable...

overall they look REALLY nice...they suit my white galant really well (just like my white gauges on my white mx6 did)!

8)

tonight i'll be able to see how it looks at night...i'm currently running some "blue" sleeves on my bulbs but i have some green ones i can try if these don't work too well with these new gauges...

so far so good!

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluedraco)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i printed them out exactly how they were in photoshop and it made them too small (had already cut them and found out, argh!)...

anyway, i've resized them in photoshop to 15.7x13 and they are the right size now...i should have them installed shortly and i'll update with another post then...

edit - it might have something to do with the fact that you edited them thinking they were 300dpi when the scanned images that i sent you were actually 360dpi (that's what i scanned them in as)! Â*:)</div>

:shock: Strange. I opened them again in Photoshop3 minutes ago and the sizes are what I actually said they were 15.7x13cm

Anyway, I'm glad you like them... for now. But you'll see that in for back-lights we will still have to figure something out.
    But in general, it's nice to hear that you like my work

Marktheblake! What about you? These gauges can be suitable for you too right? You have a right hand drive DOHC too right?

marktheblake
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'> Marktheblake! What about you? These gauges can be suitable for you too right? You have a right hand drive DOHC too right? </div>

I have a SOHC, and they are the best gauges i have ever seen. however not a perfect fit, sorry
    - my gauge only goes to 220kmhwhich is at 3 o'clock - just like yours.
    - You have a high beam indication on the Odometer gauge, in that spot mine is not used (its allocated to '4WS')
    - Anti lock is in the same spot but I dont have that feature in my car.

Ok, the last 2 are minor issues. In my Operators manual it shows that for both normal and VR4 Galants both have a 220k gauge. So either Bluedraco (whose gauges you scanned) has a different year or he has a JDM.

Rasko Da Gama
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marktheblake)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rasko Da Gama)</div><div class='quotemain'> Marktheblake! What about you? These gauges can be suitable for you too right? You have a right hand drive DOHC too right? </div>

I have a SOHC, and they are the best gauges i have ever seen. however not a perfect fit, sorry
    - my gauge only goes to 220kmhwhich is at 3 o'clock - just like yours.
    - You have a high beam indication on the Odometer gauge, in that spot mine is not used (its allocated to '4WS')
    - Anti lock is in the same spot but I dont have that feature in my car.

Ok, the last 2 are minor issues. In my Operators manual it shows that for both normal and VR4 Galants both have a 220k gauge. So either Bluedraco (whose gauges you scanned) has a different year or he has a JDM.</div>

If you take your gauges out, scan them with at least 300dpi, and send me files by e-mail Guess what :idea:
    I'll make another one for you m8 and other Right handed SOHC owners

Send them to: [email protected]

a tip with the paper, since i've been there...done that.

choosing paper. yea, use a high quality product. i used a high quality photo paper and after a year, the gauges started to yellow. kinda expected cuz the paper is exposed to the sun, heat, cold, etc etc. so yea use a high quality material.

choosing the material. make sure its thin, what im saying is, don't try to use something too thick like carboard or you can restrict the meedle from moving.

if you want to get an estimate of the amount of light will shine thru, bring a flashlight with you to the store. stick the material in front of the flaashlight and see how much light shines thru.

you aren't limited to just photo paper. you can use colored paper, transparency film, hell you can even use those papers that have that pre printed patterns on it if there is one you really like. jsut make suer that the paper isn't flimsly and make sure the light shines thru. high quality guys, remember.

i dunno if you guys have to pull the needle off to put these gauges in or not but if you are, you can enlarge the hole for hte needles ever so slightly so they can slip over and still not be visible. i guess you'd have to cut your stock gauges off if u didn't want to pull ur needles off.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

bluedraco
    well, my galant is a HG 1990 model...

isn't JDM something to do with being a Jap import or similar? coz my galant is fully japanese made and assembled...

bluedraco
    Rasko - today has been sunny so i checked out my gauges and i've noticed that the warning lights aren't actually too readable at all

it's probably not a good thing as one day the oil warning light might come on and because it's hard to see (unless i deliberately make an effort to look) it might pose a problem...

for example - my check engine light came on yesterday when i still have the stock gauges and i noticed it THAT moment...however, with these new gauges i can't see it unless i stare at it (and that's not a good sign)...

i'm still very very happy with them...don't get me wrong, i'm not really complaining, i'm just looking for some way to get around this...any ideas?

oh yeah, and at night time, the gauges actually look sweet...i'm happy with them entirely!

i'm just worried about the daytime readability of these warning lights

I'd have to agree with that, Bluedraco.
    I was out driving today, and I noticed when I stopped and engaged the handbrake, that the light was just bearly visible in daylight. If there had been sunlight I probably wouldn't have seen it at all.
    As bluedraco said, this is not a complaint Rasko!!

We just need to figure out some way to make the light shine through...
    I was thinking maybe I can cut out a square section from the bottom of each gauge, and replace it with an equally-sized section of see-through foil with print on it.

I printed mine on a rather heavy type of photo paper though. I guess I should try printing it over again with some really thin photo paper and see how it goes.

Those warning lights is the only thing that I'm unhappy with, otherwise the gauges ROCK!!! 8) And I think they look great in the dark too, there's this green glow coming from the bulbs behind the gauges that make them look almost like EL-glow. It's hot!
    --- Hell Hath No Fury Like My 4G63 ---

www.silvergalant.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast