The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how 2- flushing tranny?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    BlueESV6

how 2- flushing tranny?

How can you completely flush out the transmission? My 92 is acting funny it started ... slipping, whinning and not shifting right. I drained what fluid I could and found the fluid was really dirty and smelled like it was burnt... is there a way to flush it out or should I just take it somewhere and have them do it? (I had just changed what fluid came out maybe 10 to 15K miles ago)

I'm thinking dirt somehow may have gotten in there the last time I changed my fluid... or the filter may have "let go" and now the gunk is floating around in there... have 137,000 on it.

I added some valvoline ATF with stop leak hoping it would somehow rejuvinate it. Any suggestions?

ken inn
    there is a special machine to flush out automatics, because of the fluid in the torque converter. a transmission shop will have one, but your trans may be too far gone. if there are particles in it, not only does that mean stuff like clutches are worn, it also means all the tiny orfrices in the valve body are probably clogged. you can try an additive made by lubeguard, napa has it, if the counterpersons are smart enough to find it, i have also seen it at oreillys. what happens is the fluid gets so hot, it breaks down, and looses a lot of its properties, like lubrication. years ago, atf had an additive that came from sperm whales, believe it or not. then, with the ban on whales, and the higher temps on newer cars, atf is now a problem. the lubegard is jojoba bean technology, and it will enable the fluid to go to much higher temps without breaking down. it comes in a red plastic bottle, costs about 10 bucks.

BlueESV6
    thanks. I'll stop by our napa store

I'm going to power wash the outside of the tranny today to check for leaks and then taking it to a mecahnic to get it competely flushed out... and adding something to see if it will help it out.

BlueESV6
    I got the tranny flushed and the fluid was really dirty even after the little bit I had already changed out the night before! Sad to report the flush worked for about 15 miles and now the overdrive on the car is officially gone! I think this will be it for this car as I'm putting no more $$ into it. Probably will give it away to a charity and use the tax write off.... sad, very sad...

:cry: