The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where to start?

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    Ritalin Kid

Where to start?

I've been reading all kinds of posts but I am truley undecided where to start any kind of performance mods.

I was thinking of starting with a CAI. I recently bought a 2002 Galant ES I4 and don't have clue as to where to start. As a matter fact I more tech savvy than auto savvy so If there is anyone out there that would be willing educate me look me up online.

AIM: RTLNKID
    MSN: [email protected]
    Yahoo: Ritalin_Kid

bam462
    what do you want to do forced induction or all motor, all motor realy is only worth it if you want to biuld a platform for FI later imo, im starting with a 5 speed swap first (performance wise besides my tsudo exhaust)
    so i can get more then 240 hp outa my 4 banger

umm...let me put it this way.

"all-motor" on a 4-cylinder = too much time, too much money, a LOT of downtime, a very undriveable car, and ultimately not a whole lot of power

FI: The opposite of above, while still being moderately expensive. (in a nutshell, i know this isn't complete )

Start building for FI right now, this second. Don't give "all-motor" a second thought. Trust me on this one.

bam462
    but if you put a 4g63 head,cam and gears you will get around 20 hp plus a stronger head and after market support, scootin is right all motor really aint worth it on our cars buy its self but a 4g63 swap is a fuck load of a better platform to work off of then the 4g64 when you wanna go BIG

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    My car has gone all motor before, and it really didnt take that long before i was doing 200whp.. I mean if you have the means to do it i say try it, its the best way to learn what your motor can do and when your ready for boost or spray you already know you have a good foundation to start of with.. I think going all motor gets you a lot of street cred, because if you can take out some pretty hot cars, its gives you a great feeling.. Thats only my opinion of course..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

bam462
    you got 200 whp outa 4g64 b4 your boost?

leadfoot
    im not sure on this but if im right shane AKA headache has gotten well over 200WHP all motor and correct me if im wrong but he once ran an 11 sec 1/4 mile( not flat but in the 11's!) when boosted

Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot
    im not sure on this but if im right shane AKA headache has gotten well over 200WHP all motor and correct me if im wrong but he once ran an 11 sec 1/4 mile( not flat but in the 11's!) when boosted
    200hp is not much at all, man. Take into account all the time and money and frustration going in to putting together a motor like that, for 200hp and a shot at the 15's? No thanks, I'll go turbo.

yea thats him..headache/shane/kemist/a**hole he's got many names lol yes he's done all motor, all spray as well as FI.

As for the 4g63T head swap, I'd love to see someone do it. I have tried to get two floridians to do it...One virginian (who just got a spare block )The outcome is only 20 hp but it allows the use of more aggresive cams/cam gear tuning etc etc.

Basic starting point is bypass the cai, exhaust work if your truely serious about creating power save up for FI. then tack on the lil stuff that adds .5 whp later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mante
    then tack on the lil stuff that adds .5 whp later.
    what little stuff are you talking about? Like intake and exhaust? Exhuast isn't so "little" when it comes to turbo cars. (if that's what you meant).

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    200hp is not much at all, man. Take into account all the time and money and frustration going in to putting together a motor like that, for 200hp and a shot at the 15's? No thanks, I'll go turbo.
    200whp is a whole lot for a car that comes stock with a lil over 100whp.. And its really no that frustrating if you have the know how to do it, hell its kinda fun, well i think so at least. I just think you get a lot more respect when you have an all motor can than if you had boost or spray, but i've done all three and im pretty sure ive gotten my respect whether it be on the board or the street..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

Quote Originally Posted by ScootinIntegra
    what little stuff are you talking about? Like intake and exhaust? Exhuast isn't so "little" when it comes to turbo cars. (if that's what you meant).
    Little mods to me consist Cai, magnecor wires, muffler/axle back/cat back **and the average person here gets a axle back just for sound** As for a full exhaust upgrade hell nah its not little but then again its little to the expense of going FI with all the internal work etc etc.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Hey Mante, im going to do the head swap with an EVO VIII head. I ordered the head on thursday and it should be here in 2 days, when it comes in i'll take some pics for you guys (eye candy) and then i can set it atop a 64' block and figure out where and how im gonna start this.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

leadfoot
    ok scootin try to listen before you start jumping and telling everyone that turbo's are the best thing for everyone. i would love to get my g all motor running at 200whp but the truth is i wont even break the 150whp mark before i go with the SDS. if you built a good playform like a 200whp all motor then when you get your turbo or S/C the you will be faster then you ever expect instead of running 13's with the stage 2 SDS you will be running 12's easy with the right set up the SDS is a bolt on 80whp with the stage 1 and like 150 with the stage 2. now do the math a built motor and a stage 2 yeilds 350whp that would be one fast G, and probably the fastes G around where you live for tht matter. if you want to go fast and are in no rush in being fast then do it the right way, build your motor get a 5-speed and get a SDS. hell the SDS has a 2 year warrenty if it breakes and a 1 year warranty if something machanical goes wrong with your car (please correct me if im wrong but i think i read that on the ripp web page). do research and look around.

Ritalin Kid
    Shit.. got all kinds of advice flyin at me... You guys have to remember I know alot basic things about cars and engines but I'm more of a computer tech.. If it's a computer and can "boost" the fuck out of it, if it's a car then I'm fucked though I love to fuck with shit, break it, put it back together, make it faster, stronger, etc..

With Christmas just around the corner I was looking at something relatively inexpensive $300-$400 I can do to my car to make it perform better. So far I've considered CAI, new exhuast, I'm also close to my 30,000 mile tune up so I thought about doing the plugs and wires myself with something higher quality. For exhaust I don't want a fuckin fart can and I was thinking of going with a Flow Master Series 60 muffler.

I respect what Scootin says, even if he does look like the little punk I give my money to at the McD's drive through.. (j/k). I wanna build to eventually go turbo but I want to build from the ground up. Basically I need help taking this one step at a time.

One more concern I have is my tranny. I don't wanna throw money into my engine if my tranny is still the weakest link. I was told to check out Level 10 but I've also been told they aren't worth the money and I would rather keep my car automatic if possible atleast for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritalin Kid
    Shit.. got all kinds of advice flyin at me... You guys have to remember I know alot basic things about cars and engines but I'm more of a computer tech.. If it's a computer and can "boost" the fuck out of it, if it's a car then I'm fucked though I love to fuck with shit, break it, put it back together, make it faster, stronger, etc..

With Christmas just around the corner I was looking at something relatively inexpensive $300-$400 I can do to my car to make it perform better. So far I've considered CAI, new exhuast, I'm also close to my 30,000 mile tune up so I thought about doing the plugs and wires myself with something higher quality. For exhaust I don't want a fuckin fart can and I was thinking of going with a Flow Master Series 60 muffler.

I respect what Scootin says, even if he does look like the little punk I give my money to at the McD's drive through.. (j/k). I wanna build to eventually go turbo but I want to build from the ground up. Basically I need help taking this one step at a time.

One more concern I have is my tranny. I don't wanna throw money into my engine if my tranny is still the weakest link. I was told to check out Level 10 but I've also been told they aren't worth the money and I would rather keep my car automatic if possible atleast for the time being.
    that 400 or so would go very nicely towards forged internals for your motor. Have I had the luxury of doing it myself not yet but after hearing it over and over and actually seeing what it can do for a car Im behind it 100%

yes the tranny is trash

bam462
    hey shane care to share your veiws on the level ten tranny :laughing:

leadfoot
    400 on internals what kind of internals are you talking about?( dont take that the wrong way qjust a question) i have asked about internals and i was priced at about 800 for JE pistons and crewor rods.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(leadfoot)</div><div class='quotemain'>400 on internals what kind of internals are you talking about?( dont take that the wrong way qjust a question) i have asked about internals and i was priced at about 800 for JE pistons and crewor rods.</div>

800, yea you can stick with that. Some people that try new things out of the norm already found forged internals that work. Just be aware the galant/eclipse is not the only 2.4L motor out there thats all I'll say.

leadfoot
    dont mean to be rude but can you be more specific. i can list about 8 cars off the top of my head with 2.4's and im pretty sure those wont work.