The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stage 1 or Stage 2? Cant decide...

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Alister_McRae

Stage 1 or Stage 2? Cant decide...

Which one would you all choose? stage 1 will hold up fine and all, im just afraid once i get it, i will want to go and buy the stage 2 cause of the power.

akiraflux
    being that stage 2 = couple k more i would think that's the deciding factor...

leadfoot
    if you are happy with your galant now and are not a hall ass kind of person then you will be more then happy witht the stage 1 if you have a leadfoot like me and are compeltly discusted with the performance of your g then i would think stage 2 is right for you. i personaly dont think my car will ever be as fast as i would like it to be but i hope i can prove my self wrong i drove my brothers 350z 6 speed and was ok with the power but it lacked that extra push that im looking for, that his car runs a 14 flat. with the stage 2 you can run more boost, it was dynoed at 250whp and 247wtq now thats fast but since im going to have a 5 speed by the time i get the SDS then i will probably be boosting at 12 plus psi, and have the injection that is an option with the SDS. im not sure what kind of internal work im going to do but i will definalty do some. so to answer your question if your not a power junky then stick with the stage 1 there have been over 175 sold and not a problem to date if you have a need for speed then i would think you should get the stage 2.

Alister_McRae
    hey lead, how much exactly was the stage 2 kit w/o install? Just the package itself?

I have stage 2 sitting in my office.
    Love,
    Matt

leadfoot
    i dont think ripp has given prices but i will check for you

Alister_McRae
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot
    i dont think ripp has given prices but i will check for you
    thanks

PlanoEastRacer
    Ok, lets say that i went and bought a stage 1. In order for it to work properly what things, not in the kit itself, would i need to purchase. One example is... will i need to buy a set of new Connecting Rods? What parts will i have to purchase to keep my car running long well and with as little strain as possible. At this point i have absolutely 0 performance mods done. So know nothing is done so far, what would i need to buy besides the stage 1 for it to work? and what would i need to buy besides the stage 2?

- Thanx.

the boosted gs
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoEastRacer
    Ok, lets say that i went and bought a stage 1. In order for it to work properly what things, not in the kit itself, would i need to purchase. One example is... will i need to buy a set of new Connecting Rods? What parts will i have to purchase to keep my car running long well and with as little strain as possible. At this point i have absolutely 0 performance mods done. So know nothing is done so far, what would i need to buy besides the stage 1 for it to work? and what would i need to buy besides the stage 2?

- Thanx.
    Besides the kit, you would definetly need: Header(s), Plugs (One stage colder then stock), Front motor mount (stock one doesnt work so well when boosted).

Not necessary for the kit, but a good idea: Suspension, LSD, Brakes, Clutch (Manual), Cat-Back exhaust...

Stage 1 works fine with stock internals.

the boosted gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Alister_McRae
    Which one would you all choose? stage 1 will hold up fine and all, im just afraid once i get it, i will want to go and buy the stage 2 cause of the power.
    Stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by akiraflux
    being that stage 2 = couple k more i would think that's the deciding factor...
    The upgrades are not a couple k more. The major $$ upgrades are the boost cooler (water/methanol injection), and the underdrive crank pulley. I believe the combination of those two items is a bit under 1k.

leadfoot
    dont forget tranny upgrades i wouldnt run a stage 2 with a stock tranny.

the boosted gs
    Quote Originally Posted by leadfoot
    dont forget tranny upgrades i wouldnt run a stage 2 with a stock tranny.
    If you have a manual the only upgrade that needs to be done is a clutch. This should be done after installation of stage 1 though (if you want to get the most out of the SDS).

If you are auto/sporty no mods need to be done to the tranny (whether it be stage 1 or 2). You could add a tranny cooler though if you really wanted too.