The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: "check engine" light stay on once I started the ca

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    chendaoba

"check engine" light stay on once I started the ca

Hey, guys, it is my first time to come here.
    It will be highly appreciated if I can get some help or suggestion from your guys.

It happened three days before, that when I turn a left right and got into my apartment's parking lot driving way. I felt my car vibrated a lot and it seemed the car lost power. but I pushed the gas, it still moved forward but the car keeping vibrating for a while. But after about 10 seconds, the car drove like normal.

But I noticed the "check engine" light was on. When I parked the car turned off the car. Then I restarted the car, the "check engine is still on. I just want o know if you guys ever met such problem like the "check engine" light stay on? And after that, when I drive the car, it 90% time like normal, but sometimes if I slow down the car and want to speed up again, it will vibrate several seconds.

My wife used to drive my car, and she like to move the gear to "N" when she stop and didn't like to remain the gear at "D" and push brake. So I wondered if it is the malfunction of transmmission system or gear system?

My car is 7th GEN Galant 1998, auto gear.

first thing i'd do is do a simple inspection of the car. open the hood. see if something is broke unplugged missing burnt etc. fi you can't find anything, i'd then go get the code scanned. many autoparts store will scan the code for you for free. if you can't find a place will do it, a good mechanic will scan it also. the code will help point you into the direction of where the problem is. the person who got the code for you might also give you some suggestions on waht to do. sometimes its somethign you can change on your own, sometimes its something more serious. but yea a simple visual inspection and then grabbing the code is the first thigns i'd do.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

chendaoba
    buddy, tks a lot. I checked with Mitsubishi parts & services Hayward CA, and they will charge me for about $150 for diagnose, cause I live in Bay Area, it is the closest Mitsubishi autoparts I can find. You mentioned that a lot of autoparts can do the code scan for free, so if other autoparts can do computer scan for GLANT? I checked with TOYOTA autoparts, they said they could not do it.

Tks in advance for my stupid question. BTW, I just changed my oil recent days.

it doesn't have to be a mitsubishi auto parts store. it can be a general auto parts store. code reader just plugs into the obd-ii diagnosis port under your dash. most of the codes are generic but there are a few mitsu specific codes. just get the code. thats the most important part. many members here can look up the code for you once you get the code.

GalantSpeed
    Dude go to Auto Zone they do free engine diagnostics if your check engine light is on.....

chendaoba
    Tks, dude, I just called Auto Zone, and they said that some California law prohibited them to do that anymore for free or charge. Maybe other state Auto Zone can still do it. So if you can give me other suggestion I can check with the code out by free? tks.

GalantSpeed
    thats so damn stupid. who comes up with the damn laws??? it pisses me the F off!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chendaoba)</div><div class='quotemain'>Tks, dude, I just called Auto Zone, and they said that some California law prohibited them to do that anymore for free or charge. Maybe other state Auto Zone can still do it. So if you can give me other suggestion I can check with the code out by free? Â*tks.</div>

well how much does it cost?

chendaoba
    Hey, guys, I am back.

Regard the price to check the code, I really don't know, cause AUTO ZONE said that they can not do it anymore for free or charge.

But luckly I got one mechanic friend to help me to scan the code out, the code is P1750, but he couldn't figure out what is the meaning of this, cause his computer showed "Manufacture Controlled". So if anybody can tell me, it will be highly appreciated.

BTW, he used his computer to clear this code P1750, then I started car, and the "Check Engine" light started for a while and then off. But after I took car to street for about 30 minutes drive and braked at red light, it appeared again and stay on.

So, hope you guys can give some help on this code.

GalantSpeed
    i'd send a pm to manybrews, he works for mitsu, and he can help you....

SexyGalant2000
    I had the problem before where the light stayed on. Turned out it was just the fuel cap wasnt on tightly, weird but that was the only problem. could be a lot of things, but if your car is running good, and u have no problems with it, take the dam bulb out and forgetta bout it!!!!!!!!!

code p1750 = tcm pulse generator circuit fault. TCM I believe refers to transmission control moduel (aka tranny comp.) Im so retarted i had to look it up i forgot how to read the code its self without lookin in the index
    YES I STILL HAVE MY GALANT!!

chendaoba
    Tks all of you guys, now I am crossing my fingers and hope this code will not mean something seriously even though the car drive like normal.

Awaiting manybrews feed back.

catchasa
    It happened to me. Autozone checked it and said it was a misfire. What kind of gas are you running?

chendaoba
    Hi, GlantSpeed, did you get any feedback from manybrews ? Really appreciate his help in advance.

And tks for all your guys input above, and for you information I always used #87 reguliar gas for my car. Some time I use shell, sometimes chevron, sometimes just fuel at my local Alameda Gas.

And regarding the TCM generator circuit fault, is this meaning the malfunction of tranny gear or just some problem of control computer, hope you guys can give us some instruction on this issue.

IllestGalant
    one tip for you do it yourselfers. you can ground terminal one of the data link connector and count how many times the check engine light flashes to give you the code. go to google.com or get a chiltons from the library, both free and look up the code. in easier terms, there is a trapazoid electrical connector located in the bottom right corner of the panel under the steering wheel. it has 16 terminal, the one all the way to the left in the top row is #1. stick a wire in there and put it to metal of the car. count